View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 11:49   #4693
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Sky's future is secure. It's parent has several decades worth of content and rights to tons of stuff. The question is, what that future will be.

Personally, as a traditional pay tv platform, I think that will start to come to end now, especially if Disney pull their content. Whether Comcast, America's largest cable co, decides to invest in UK fibre broadband, remains to be see. Openreach is now "separate" from BT and the poles and ducts are meant to be open to anyone, a potentially very attractive proposition for Comcast. They could "cable" up the UK's cities and largest towns very quickly, if they so choose to do so.

Going by the Comcast/Sky webcast the other week though, I think the direction is clear. Comcast will use Sky/Now Tv and turn that into a global streaming service. So, the days of being able to watch all the new Hollywood films from one service is probably coming to a end, but we'll see. It's a high stakes gamble and if it goes wrong, it will kill off the "old" Hollywood media companies.

Old boy, I don't see there being several specific film apps into the long term. Either these companies "do" streaming properly in the end, with a Netflix like service, or they don't.