View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 01:30   #4690
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, the Disney app appears to be in the offing for the UK soon.

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/11/...g-comcast.html[/I]
Most interesting and so it begins. Expect the same from AT&T, Viacom/CBS and others at some point too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Right so what content we talking movies or movies and TV shows ?

If it's the latter it seems a risky manoeuvre in the UK even for someone the size of Disney.

I'd imagine Disney makes significant money by being included in pay TV platforms subscription bundles plus the money it makes from Sky Cinema you also have to factor in the licensing deals it has with numerous pay TV sand terrestrial UK broadcasters for its shows.
We spoke about this the other day and yes it is Very risky for Disney to give up on all its lucractive revenue it makes from various broadcasters. But the media cos have seen what Netflix has done, can they afford not to do the same, even if it is a major gamble?

---------- Post added at 01:19 ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Without exclusivity Sky will pay nowhere near what they currently do.

My point is that if Disney are going to go Direct to the Consumer is that with all it's content ie Fox , Disney Movies , Pixar , ABC TV Shows etc.

If so we could well see Disney content going from all pay TV platforms I suppose the only possibility would be a deal for the app to be included on the STB.

Movies could soon be as pricey as Sport , 3 or 4 subscriptions to see all the studios.

I know you predict this better app world but in my opinion it's going to be a costlier one.
Could be and I agree, the only bit of cash Sky might get out of Disney in the future, is if the Disney app is integrated into SkyQ. As for what will be on the Disney app, we'll have to wait and see. We don't know yet whether it will be one all inclusive app, or separate ones like they're doing in the States at the moment.

---------- Post added at 01:30 ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
On the other hand, if you drop the exclusivity, you get a lower price but you also have the option to make it available on more platforms. There are various ways Disney could play this, including making their streaming apps available on Sky and Virgin in place of the TV channels they are now on. It doesn't necessarily mean a higher price to be paid by the subscriber. It just means the scheduled channels depart and in their place we get a streaming service. Sky and Virgin would still have to pay Disney for the programmes, but these programmes would be made available in a different way.

It is true that Sky could demand that subscribers pay Disney directly and continue to charge the same for their channel bundles, but why would they do that? If the cost to Sky was about the same or lower, surely the Disney app would just be made part of existing channel packages. Wholesale deals like this must be good for the streamers because it guarantees a level of income, which should mean that they can reduce the price charged to Sky, Virgin and BT.
Channel wise, Disney and Fox don't have that much of a presence in the UK, so the real issue here is on demand rights and specifically films.

The enlarged Disney will control a third of all Hollywood's content and if they pull their content from Sky's film channels, it threatens the future viability of these channels. If the other media cos copy Disney and do the same, that will destroy Sky's film service totally.

Last edited by Horizon; 06-11-2018 at 01:16.