View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 10:02   #4645
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Off the top of my head

1. Disney/Fox
2. Netflix
3. Amazon
4. Comcast/Universal
5. Warner Media

That’s just the bigger players you then have the likes of Viacom , Discovery the list goes on.

My point is all of those have their content across pay tv channels , terrestrial channels and included in pay TV On Demand packages. A subscription to the likes of VM or Sky currently offers you a selection to content from most of those listed and I struggle to get my head around how people think having to subscribe to all these numerous streaming packages will be somehow better.

People seem to think this streaming world will rid of us all ads which frankly is laughable.
Lets see what happens with ads. Netflix is trialling them in America and AT&T is thinking about it. I agree the steamers may not be ad free, but I would expect a few options. One being a more premium option, add free, for a higher price and the other being a ad option for a lower price or no price at all like Sony's Crackle service.

As to whether it will be better, we'll have to see how it all plays out. I have suspicions that it won't be cheaper than current pay tv subs, in fact probably a lot more expensive, but as I said in the other thread, streaming will bring about the death of most linear tv.

Put it this way, if the only place to watch Star Wars, Marvel etc is Disney's streaming service and baring in mind the decline of DVDs now, for those with the dosh, could they afford not to subscribe to Disney's streamer?