View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 13:34   #789
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
I'm not entirely sure I'd call the UKTV situation a success by any stretch of the imagination. Yes, financially it seems Virgin are being hit less than UKTV are - but reputationally they don't exactly come out smelling of roses. And the platform is undoubtedly weaker for being the only UK TV provider not having those channels.

Perhaps the quietness is a good sign, that it's the first time UKTV have stopped stirring on Twitter etc and finally realised such things are best resolved behind closed doors. I can't help but wonder if Virgin were rather unimpressed by UKTV's Twitter post last Friday night.

I was looking through some of the UKTV reports and suchlike this past week - in one glossy they're boasting about how they increased the reach of one channel just by making it FTA. Well no sugar sherlock. And in the next breath, that's a great thing because of increased advertising income and program budget. Errr.....

On Companies House I found their 2016 accounts, admittedly these are now 18months+ old, but I think it was something like £68m profit. Trying to square maybe a mid-£70m figure now with a reported £1m a week loss, well it's hard to argue why they really do need to get back on Virgin before too much long term damage is done.
I only meant it was a success given they have addressed paying out so much for a bunch of mainly low quality channels showing a high volume of much repeated programmes that were originally provided free (outside the pay tv arrangements).

Either they will ditch those channels forever or they will come back at a cheaper price and/or additional OD content. If they don't come back, we should get better channels to replace them if they are aiming at the higher end of the market.
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote