View Single Post
Old 22-07-2018, 20:12   #194
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: VM loses UKTV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Discovery buying Scripps triggered a clause the BBC has in place that allows the BBC to buy the 50% they don't own. Discovery would be forced out.

See this article about it from beginning of this month. https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...m-bid-for-uktv
I actually think that this is the real reason behind all this. VM know that UKTV cannot give them the on demand content that they want, this is down to the BBC. The BBC have now said that they fully support the stance of UKTV management.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 View Post
My parents are 9 months into a 12month contract, they have asked me to talk to VM about this issue with the view of canceling the contract so they can move back to Sky. They have been with VM for 4years in total and were happy before this. Has anybody tried to talk to VM about this issue with a view to canceling? If so how did you get on?

Did they offer you any compensation? A 2 month free premier sports pass is no use to my parents who have no interest in sport. Looking at the replacements, Premier Sports is hardly a suitable replacement for W or Your TV for Alibi for example

I am 4 months into a 12 month contract. To give you an idea of what to expect, this is my experience:

I began by explaining that I would have to pay £7.99 a month to regain these channels and ask that this be reimbursed. The rubbish that I was initially told is followed by my answer:

"But you don't watch the UKTV channels sir". Yes I do, I record everything if that makes a difference to your records.

"But it's not in your top five channels". So what, most people, myself included, mostly watch the PSB channels".

"We have listened to customer feedback and replaced these channels". Nonsense, it's all about a carriage fee dispute.

"You can regain the UKTV channels for free by downloading their app". Yes, but this does not cover the pay channels that I watch such as GOLD and Watch.

Repeated four times until it sank in with him.

"We have replaced these channels, including Premier Sports which is normally £21 a month". I don't like sport and, in any case, Premier Sports was off air for most of this afternoon and this is only for 8 weeks. The other channels are either available FTA or I have no interest in them (I also don't think that Premier Sports costs that much either).

"You are already receiving a substantial discount". So what, what has been negotiated in the past isn't relevant to this change of service.

"There is nothing we can do". Ok, I'd like to cancel all services on the basis that you are in breach of contract.

"We have not broken our contract as we have replaced the channels". I disagree, I regard this as a material and significant change in the service agreed upon under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

"So, if we add an extra channel are we in breach of contract if we add an extra channel?". No, but removing and/or replacing channels is another matter entirely. Please cancel all services.

" You need to give 30 days notice by calling cancellations tomorrow. There will be an early disconnection fee of £240". No there won't, If you try to impose this I will challenge it in court, particularly as there have been claims that other customers have been allowed to leave penalty free.

"I can give you £3 a month off". That still leaves me £4.99 worse off a month, as well as the added inconvenience.

"That is the best I can do for you. I can apply the credit and you will still be able to cancel tomorrow when they are open if you wish". So you're happy to let a domestic and commercial customer of 18 years leave over this?

We're not happy no, but there is nothing further that we can do.

So, i've got a partial refund and will now have to consider my options.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 22-07-2018 at 20:49.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote