Thread: 4K UHD on Virgin Media
View Single Post
Old 20-06-2018, 17:13   #711
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Exactly my point, BBC should have trial led this before hand. Plenty of content they could have used if they wanted to.

Drop-outs, buffering just isn't acceptable.

Defending them is crazy, if they had to be commercial they would have gone under years ago.

If they have to make things available to all how come they chose to do it via a method that relies on a very high BB speed - hardly inclusive is it.
I'm not defending them, but what could they have done trials on before this world cup? They don't really have any live sporting rights.

I haven't been able to watch a whole game in UHD because either a message on my phone telling me someone has scored or the buffering/audio drop outs. From the footage I have watched, it does look brilliant.

Having VM has only given me access to 1 football game in UHD (champions league final) and the tennis. Both looked really good, but maybe the BBC HLG looks even better. Hard to compare having watched them a month apart.

The BBC will come into its own when they start showing the stuff the are known for worldwide - that is not sport, but ground-breaking natural history documentaries and gritty dramas. When these are shown in UHD via iPlayer at the same time as on the HD channel without the audio dropping (lag won't be too much of an issue), we will see what their technology has to offer.

Yes Sky have lots in UHD already, but they are so much richer and bigger than the BBC.

Also, I don't think you can blame the BBC for most of the UK not having good enough BB speeds, we are just lucky with VM.

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 20-06-2018 at 17:22.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote