Thread: 350M Changing MTU Size
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 12:13   #5
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Re: Changing MTU Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
It is unfortunately and that is why I stopped using PIA a couple of years ago. I can't remember the exact option because I haven't got the client anymore but there were two fields, one for specifying a port number and one for something else. If I left both of those empty (which you can) the vpn would be fine and most people would probably be non the wiser. The problem I had was that when I used torrents they would start off at 1-2MB/sec and after a minute or so my vpn connection would drop and I would have to reconnect again, the torrent would start going again and then a minute later the connection would drop again. The only way I could get round it was to force port forwarding (which connects you to a more limited pool of servers) and whatever the other option is which maintained a stable connection but it would never go above 70k/sec. Once my 1 year subscription was up I left it because it was useless. I don't know what the technical ins and outs are but your speed issues are down to the fact that you are using port forwarding and whatever they are doing their end.
What VPN do u use now? My year is up in June.

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
You can use ping to test values ;

if the ping succeeds, you have a good MTU.

If it fails with "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.", then the MTU is too big.

FYI, 1472 works ok on my PC.
I will try this thanks.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote