View Single Post
Old 24-02-2018, 10:58   #205
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
BBC already has far too much reality tv - so changing to an ITV type model shouldn't have any effect on that. Take your point re adverts, however as I always watch recordings of programs they don't bother me that much - just FF through them.

Point re £12 pm - even if you only watch sky which you pay for, you still have to pay the license fee - I am seriously surprised this hasn't been changed as it basically means BBC is state subsidised (is that legal within the EU?)
State subsidy isn't allowed within the EU, but that doesn't mean the BBC is breaking the law, it means that you're wrong to describe the Licence Fee as a state subsidy. There is no law against incorporating a body by royal charter and granting it legal authority to collect fees from all citizens who meet set criteria. Local government works in a not dissimilar way.

I wouldn't be totally averse to adverts on the BBC per se, so long as there was a strict cap on advertising minutes per hour. The problem as I see it is that there is a finite amount of advertising spend among the UK's consumer brands and if the BBC starts hoovering it up, it will put a lot of smaller channels out of business.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote