View Single Post
Old 23-11-2017, 21:40   #170
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Only works out cheaper if you bin one or both of sky and BT - otherwise must be an additional cost (unless it is free)

As for recording streams on a PC, if I wanted to watch on a PC sized screen I wouldn't have bought my 48" flat screen

Another question - are these streams in a minimum of HD quality?

First of all i use plex media server which streams from pc to my tv via my network, or you can connect a hdmi cable so your 48inch tv will still get used as normal.
I stream fine from my pc to my 40inch tv which has a plex app but i use my ROKU anyway.
second the meaning of cord cutting is getting rid of cable/sattelite tv services although i recently have re signed with SKY after a great offer so that plan backfired on me but i'm still making quite a saving overall.
Third yes the streams are in HD in my experience NBCsports stream has been better quality than SKYs HD channel, Netflix also offers content in full HD and UHD, infact every streaming channel i've used has been HD unlike SKYs pathetic SKYGO, NOWtv however is only 720p i think.
Streaming has come a long way over the last 2 or 3 years and will continue to improve greatly, even 8k streaming is now being tested in Japan although we tend to be quite behind Japan tech wise.

I'll give you breakdown of my costs below.
Fibre 38mbs unlimited bb includes line rental £22.99p/m
Netflix £6.20p/m (i use vpn so pay Mexico rates)
SKY £21p/m includes boxsets
USAtv login £7p/m (i'm lucky enough to know someone in USA who let's me use their service in return i give them a bit of cash )
vpn £5p/m
total = £71.19p/m we can take £21p/m off that when i drop SKY after xmas as it's a rolling contract.
The costs for streaming include champions league, prem league, EFL, MLS etc, HBO, Cinemax, All USA tv network channels plus more.
The equivalant via SKY or VM would be over £100p/m.