View Single Post
Old 25-10-2016, 09:02   #707
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong1 View Post
Honestly, nothing I have heard suggests it even comes close to the refreshed experience of Sky Q:

- Same, outdated, UI
- Yes, faster. It badly needs to be
- No mention of how "multi-room" is handled. No reference to a disc-less Mini Box.
- More tuners, but half that of Sky Q. It's not that we need to record more things at the same time, but to offer multi-room and to offer a next-gen UI. People have theorised a cloud-based DVR but I've heard nothing to suggest this is more than wishful thinking.

And that's without talking about the biggest issue for UHD - content. I guess I should avoid speculating, but I'll be surprised if they do deals for all of Sky's UHD sport and movies and don't have the original shows. They will have Netflix, I expect, but almost all with a UHD set have that via a TV app already.

Of course, we are both speculating, but I'm genuinely interested in what you have heard that lead to your comment.
When I looked into Sky Q earlier in the year I didn't see that it was that advanced. It seems to be a really good PVR with wireless satellites but nothing that really caught my eye. One of my main put offs with Sky Q was that I got a categorical answer that automatic clash resolution wasn't a feature. As bad as the current TiVO software is this feature still works most of the time and is invaluable.

Sky have done a good job of marketing their new offering as a groundbreaking piece of technology but for many it won't offer more than they already have. In my case, anecdotal as it is, due to having two networked TiVos I already have the networked satellited, 1.5 TB of storage, 6 tuners so I can record 6 things at once and watch 2 recordings. Now that the MRS covers most channels I can watch anything recorded in pretty much either room. One advantage Sky Q has is it can stream recordings to a mobile device....this may eventually become a necessary but if I'm in my house and have time to watch something I'll be watching it on one of my TVs, that's the whole point of a PVR for me.

One of the negatives against Sky Q at the moment (and not really the fault of Sky) is their non adoption of any HDR standard. The box supposedly supports it but they are waiting for standards to be agreed before taking the plunge. If I were to invest in UHD I'd be looking for a box that can a clear and definite HDR support.

With all that said I still don't have much confidence in a Tivo powered V6 being that reliable.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote