View Single Post
Old 14-09-2016, 12:39   #510
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgem22 View Post
I do the same to I use my Tvs hardware for netflix and catch up. I dont use suggestions.

I agree the Sky + software is not as complex and that is the core of the problem you would not expect an old computer to run windows 10 but Virgin are trying to get their old Tivo to run software it really is not designed to cope with thats why I feel it would be better in hindsight if they had just focused on it being a 3 tuner PVR as you say Stephen if all the apps Cindy Rose mentioned had come the boxes would imo grind to a halt.

I accept that for some people the Tivo speed may be acceptable but for me and my family and friends we all feel it is sluggish and worse so since the update. Other forums to are awash with people of the same opinion, albeit a few who disagree to.
I don't entirely buy the argument that the hardware can't now support the software it's being asked to run unless we consider that the software (or the platform it's been developed upon) is a bag of spanners.

The Roku LT isn't exactly cutting edge but that's what all my Now TV boxes are base on and I have no issue with them displaying lists and loading on demand apps (e.g. iPlayer).

To my mind the instability of the box and noticable lag started with the "Plum" update when they moved to using Haxe. Whether it is because this release allowed more apps to be deployed and they dodgy apps and their libraries are eating into resources or whether it's just since the Plum update the software isn't so reliable I don't know but I don't think asking a computer to display a list of recordings is asking too much, irrespective of the age of the technology. it used to work fine why not now?

Then we have the delay when pressing "Play". Are were really claiming that has now become too much for the hardware. Other than the addition of some apps what has really been done that needs such a boost in hardware?

I lost my confidence in the team working on the VM Tivo software quite a while ago and even with a new box that'll just give them more resources to chew up. I really do love the TiVo features (specifically the auto clash resolution....which Sky Q doesn't seem to have as I asked them) but they're going to be out of the game soon, they don't update their software enough and are being left behind.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote