View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 22:10   #18
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: BBC license change to cover catchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I don't have any children in school but I still pay tax so I don't have to live in a country of stupid people.
I wasn't talking about normal tax, I was referring to Stuart's assertion that tv is essential for schools. Do they only watch the BBC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
A basic TV service, providing news and catering for as wide a range of tastes and outlooks as possible, is of course absolutely essential.
a very well articulated point and I genuinely agree. But surely such an essential service should sell/run on its own merits if it is so amazing and shouldn't have to rely to a legislated budget where £billions of income is guaranteed and you basically have a free reign to do whatever you want. If they had to work to provide a quality service and failure to do so with result in reduced income (subscription channel package) or share prices then I am sure we would see a completely different BBC.

If you took away the mandatory license fee and said to everyone "you can either pay £12/month for the BBC or £20/month for 270 channels with Sky" what do you think they would choose. At the moment I am paying half my Sky subscription again for a few channels which I never watch. Or the other way to look at is that I am legally forced to pay 1/3 of my tv subscription for a channel package that I don't want.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote