View Single Post
Old 26-02-2016, 14:43   #178
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Corbyn's kerfuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Did you have those concerns in 1997, when Labour were elected in with 43.2% of those who voted, or in 2001 when Labour were elected with 40.7% of those who voted, or in 2005 when Labour were elected with 35.2% of those who voted?

btw, I agree with you about the dangers of not having an effective opposition, but I don't think we should gerrymander the constituencies to protect the Labour vote.
I take your point on the Labour majorities. The same is also true for one of Thatchers victories from memory. My concern is this change, whether you think it merited by natural justice or just a political smash & grab, is a step towards an effective 1 party state I say this because of the pathetic state of the Labour party, the unrepresented UKIP voters and the swing to SNP from Labour in Scotland. All these, combined, leave us in a very different place to when Labour won in 1997 etc.