View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 21:02   #2411
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

ABC have an idea about how the online/streaming tv world might evolve, at least for them, but putting more adult versions of its shows online (it's an interesting idea!):

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/abc-...on-1201675959/

---------- Post added at 21:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I think you underestimate the technological advantage that Netflix have, both in delivery infrastructure and algorithms / data. In round one against print media the Internet giants won, in round two against the music companies they won, in round three against the mobile companies they won and - while nothing's certain - in round four against pay TV I'd bet they'll win again.
I agree in part, but as I'm talking a lot about Time Warner at the moment, remember it wasn't that long ago when the company was called AOL Time Warner. The AOL bit being the "better" bit, at least according to some at the time.

But I don't understand your first point about Netflix's delivery infrastructure, what infrastructure? They don't own any delivery methods that I'm aware of, ie cable/telecom cos.

But again, I don't understand your remark about mobile. We still have mobile companies.

Your point about music companies is particularly on the mark, the music companies didn't see the threat of the internet on their business until it was too late. Again, on Time Warner, a large part of their business was music..was....

I think with the tv networks though, its different, as they create content whereas the music industry was just the middle men between the singers/songwriters and customers.