View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 11:19   #2058
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: What have you just bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
My opinion is that you can feed a family of 4 well and healthily for less than £5 per main meal and I have a book full of meals I have made and the costs incurred. I've even added the costs for what the electric may cost and factored that in too.
£8 can feed a family with 3 squares and still get change.
Yup but only if you have the inclination and motivation to do it. There are few excuses these days with recipes and even step by step videos available on phones showing how to prepare cheap, healthy meals. It just takes a little effort and for those able bodied who aren't working, the time probably isn't a factor either. Bought in the right places, basics like chicken, rice, pasta, vegetables, fish, beef/pork mince, eggs, milk, etc. etc. are relatively cheap and can be used to make all sorts of dishes.

1.5kg of beef mince cost me about £5 at Lidl the other day and with a few other cheap ingredients costing a couple of pounds, I'll use it to make a huge batch of shepherd's pie or Bolognese which will easily make enough for about 8-10 portions.

I think a whole lot of people have become locked into the ready meal/fast food mentality so it's no wonder that they may feel they don't have enough money. Cut out some of the take-ways, dinners out and expensive supermarket ready meals, however, and it's not long before there's enough money to feed the family for a whole week and a whole lot better too.

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

A watch repair kit.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/16pc...amazon-2199035

In the past I've always managed to change batteries, remove links etc. in my own unique way but this was too cheap not to take a chance on it.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote