View Single Post
Old 28-10-2014, 15:25   #885
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think Steve's point is that the premium which HBO is able to charge Sky for exclusitivity more than makes up for the reduction in potential viewers by not being on more platforms.
Much as I hate to admit it, if HBO launched a streaming version in the UK and dumped the Sky deal, I think HBO would see their UK income down by many millions of pounds.

Given that they can't dump the Sky deal for several years, it's academic anyway.

When the Sky deal does expire, streaming will be more popular, but I still wouldn't rule out another HBO/Sky deal at that point.

I think Sky want it for 'up-market' prestige and a perceived USP and don't care if the number of viewers they get doesn't justify the cost.

I don't think there is a big enough demand for the HBO type of gritty show in the UK, otherwise, why would Channel 5 have dropped such shows as Justified and Sons of Anarchy?