View Single Post
Old 13-01-2014, 10:39   #267
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
I think reality tv is slowly dying to be honest. X factor and big brother would dominate proceedings a few years back. Now it's not the case. I think it'll still slowly die a slow death for a few more years and then go missing in a few years.
I think that Reality TV has been slowly dying since the late 90s.. In the late 90s, it was difficult to turn on the TV during prime time without finding at least one channel showing a programme where a film crew followed a few vets, holiday reps, the staff of a driving school, airport or hospital around. Thankfully, that sort of programme has largely died out (at least on the terrestrial channels, the smaller channels still have a fair few on).

I say it's dying, rather than changing because back in the late 90s it was very difficult to find a terrestrial channel at prime time that was *not* showing some sort of reality show. At least now it's limited to a few daytime TV shows and a couple of hours of "talent shows" on a Saturday night. Usually consisting of a couple of shows where 3 or 4 people watch other people sing/dance/do whatever, often making (sometimes rude) comments on them, then the hosts excitedly ask the viewer to phone in to "save" one of the the contestants (see The Voice, Fame Academy, Strictly Come Dancing, Dancing on Ice and almost *anything* involving Simon Cowell) for evidence of this.