View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 17:21   #193
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaBloke View Post
For me it's nothing to do with agreeing a price. The problem is more fundamental. BT insist on invoicing the customer directly. They are able to do this on their own platform and Sky's supports it too. However VM doesn't support such an arrangement with all charges for premium channels appearing on our VM bill.

This is not compatible with the reason for BT Sports' existence which is as a vehicle to encourage the adoption of BT BB and phone services.

So in my opinion the chances of BT Sport coming to VM is nil. However I can imagine a situation where BT's intervention in the market will result in Sky seeing VM as less of an enemy and being more willing to co-operate with them. Sky will not want to see VM customers leaving and handing their money to BT (either by BT's or Sky's platforms) so may be more inclined to strengthen the VM channel lineup.
The channel exists to rival Sky. The whole broadband customers getting it free thing is plan b after they failed to get the rights packages that they really wanted, or that they thought their huge offer would get them.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamav View Post
Wow! I forgot he did that! He was awesome.

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:18 ----------

Good point - if it matters that much to you, it makes sense.

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 23:28 ----------

I'm willing to bet my house that Sky Atlantic will be on VM within a few months, possibly showing mainly reruns in future. This news may change things slightly:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/...nal-shows.html
I read that as saying because they have so many returning US shows they have less space for new ones. I don't think the overall number of US shows will fall.

In reply to Chad, I have thoroughly enjoyed some of Sky's original programming. Ironically it's those shows that they have made and then put on Sky Atlantic that have been worse, IMO.