View Single Post
Old 23-03-2013, 17:39   #3512
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
qas that packetloss I have seen on just about every BT graph posted in public, it appeared on my own graphs within a week of the policy change.

Its also on gateway graphs, eg. its on your gateway graph and its on my gateway graph which rules out local connection issues.
This seems to be down to some snap routing decisions over BT's LINX public peering. It appears to only affect traffic going over LINX' secondary public peering network, which incidentally, is where traffic from BT to TBB's ping monitor goes.

I couldn't find any other traffic that was affected, all privately peered routes were fine, all LINX primary links were fine, but everything over secondary was showing ~0.8% packet loss.

At about 5:15pm, the issues disappeared and everything went back to normal - I first noticed the problem when the throughput for the blu-ray I was streaming plumetted from 5MB/sec to 0.4MB/sec, and now that's jumped back up to full speed again too (actually it's peaking at 8MB/sec but the movie itself only averages around 5). That was transiting over LINX secondary the whole time, routing hasn't changed.

I'm not quite sure why BT is pushing so much traffic over the LINX secondary LAN, after all, they have ten times more capacity on primary than secondary. Whether it's BT's own routing to blame or like VM's issues a few months ago, due to an external network sending excess traffic the wrong way, I don't know. The issue seems to have disappeared abruptly for tonight so I can no longer trace where it is coming from.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote