Thread: UK Timeline Outcasts
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 09:00   #16
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Outcasts

I enjoyed this again last night. There were definite echoes of BSG in one or two places ... enough to make me start comparing the two, such as noticing that the camerawork on Outcasts isn't shaky like BSG. Julius Berger is shaping up as some sort of Gaius Baltar figure.

They have gone for a technique that was very heavily used in JJ Abrams' Star Trek - lots of bright light straight into the lens. I'm not sure I like it very much but at least it shows the BBC is prepared to consider the American approach of giving big-budget drama a distinctive style and feel rather than just planting the camera and making it all about the performances.

I think I would have liked it if they had kept the ACs a bit more mysterious for a bit longer, rather than explaining exactly who they are and what they want in part 2, but on the other hand they have given themselves an awful lot to establish ... if this were a US series they would be planning for 20+ eps, whereas this is following a typical British approach and going for 6-8.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote