Thread: UK Timeline Doctor Who : Season 6
View Single Post
Old 23-12-2010, 19:53   #12
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Doctor Who : Season 6

I have to admit, while I did enjoy S5, I have recently bought the DVD boxset of S4. S4 was much better.

The problem with S5 is that while there were some excellent stories (Victory of the Daleks, The Time Of Angels, Flesh and Stone and the final two), a lot were just OK, and a couple felt like fillers (Eleventh Hour, Best Below and the Lodger).

One thing I like about the final episodes is the sequence in which a Cybersuit attempts to convert Amy. That sequence shows that Steven Moffatt understood what makes the Cybermen scary far more than Russell T Davies.

As for Matt Smith, I think he could be a good doctor, if given good stories. There were scenes in a couple of stories that showed Matt can be quite sinister when asked to be. A quality that the Doctor rarely displays, but is a necessary part of the character, IMO.

Karen Gillan is (I think) quite good. I like the feisty assistant role, and the jokey references to her Scottish ancestry. She is quite sexy, but I don't think she is the sexiest assistant (that award goes to either Freema Agyeman or Carey Mulligan IMO).

Rory is quite funny, but I think they could lose him.

Hopefully the team behind Doctor Who have taken a long cold hard look at series 5, and in series 6, worked to remove the bits that didn't work well, and improve those that did. As the production team behind ANY series should.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote