View Single Post
Old 30-03-2010, 20:19   #37
jatwap
Inactive

jatwap is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 'local only' via WGR614 wireless (Virgin Cable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
If you've got no PC/Connectivity light then it means that the cable modem isn't detecting anything that it can "talk" to. You've tried connecting with the router via ethernet, and also with your newly installed network card. It's unlikely(although) possible that these are both faulty.

You can succesfully connect via USB to you cable modem.

I see too possibilities. Either, your cable modem's ethernet port is broken, or for some reason your modem is incapable of switching from one device to another, this is the process a power cycle is supposed to trigger.
Ok, I concur with your logic so was willing to settle for replacment modem as the next step (especially since the power cycle didin't work). The only thing which is troubling me was the advice from the Virgin tech support folks I spoke to who "confirmed" that both the USB and Ethernet MAC addresses of my modem were registered and ought to be able to be used - I've still got a feeling that only the USB MAC address is registered, hence why it's not illuminating the PC/Connectivity light when connected via Ethernet. Ideally, I'd love someone from Virgin to confirm...
jatwap is offline   Reply With Quote