View Single Post
Old 14-01-2010, 09:50   #9
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Advice on phone for internet browsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto View Post
Thanks for the replies. I didn't really want to go as high as £30 per month. I currently have a company phone which costs me nothing and I am to retire (redundant) in a couple of months. So, the £18 per month seems more managable.

I am still attracted to the Nokia 5800 but have 2 concerns, one is that the camera is not particularly good ( I don't have a camera) and secondly the free music downloads seem a bit of a waste to me.

Couple of very basic questions:

Does the use of WiFi count towards the monthly allowance of 1GB?
No. Any costs involved in WiFi are between you and the WiFi provider. Unless the Mobile operator is also providing the WiFi network you are connected to, they'll have nothing to do with it.

So, if you use your own router, it'll be free. If you go in (say) a restaurant (like Starbucks or McDonalds), you may be charged by that restaurant for access. On the other hand, they may give access free if you buy stuff.

Quote:
Can I use the phone to connect my laptop to the wonder web? I assume that if that was possible it would count towards the download limit. I get away in my caravan for a week at a time. Some sites offer WiFi but at extortionate rates.

Thanks.
Depends on the tariff. Some tariffs specifically forbid the use of laptops. AFAIK T Mobile's Web N Walk (all versions apart from Max) does, and they do apparently check. My advice here is simply to check the small print.

As for browsing. Well, in my experience, the best mobile device for browsing is the iPhone, but it is expensive. If you are planning to use any Nokia phones, the built in browser is OK, rather than Good (although it's been a while since I used it, so it may have changed). You do, however, have the freedom to install other browsers (you don't on the iPhone).

I personally recommend Opera Mini. This is free, does a good job of rendering pages and uses Opera's own proxies which use various methods to reduce the amount of data transmitted (so good for keeping your usage within any allowances).

I believe Mozilla are looking at a version of Firefox for mobiles as well, but at the moment, I can only find a version for the Nokia N900.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote