View Single Post
Old 15-08-2008, 01:47   #14083
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
IMHO it is a no win situation for any Phorm webwise ISP's. The only question they (ISP's) should answer to themselves is: how much business and good PR are they prepared to lose?

Surely whatever point any ISP's public rating starts at, there must be only one way it can go with WebWise and I firmly believe that is down down down. Not good at all!

How can any ISP put any positive spin on WebWise if my assumption is correct?
I am recalling how, in the early days, many posters were saying that Webwise would be OK if it could be shown to met all legal requirements. Basically that means that a few 'things' need to be disclosed and managed differently. If those things are changed, then there could be positive spin.

I imagine that there are a few investors / shareholders who are putting a lot of pressure onto the Board of Directors / Senior Management of ALL companies concerned to ensure legality and protection of data, communications and computer systems before any trial is initiated. Will the earlier calls (and welcomed by Phorm) to open up the scripts to independent quality control and verification by qualified independent experts happen before the trial commences?

For new readers, the minimum that needs to be changed from the webwise system that was analysed in May this year:
* opt-in system [verification that minors do not opt-in without adult consent?]
* no forged cookies
* no leaking of cookies to 3rd parties
* no fraudulent 307 redirects
* opt-in system for 2nd party content to be intercepted, as per RIPA requirements
* licence fee system for websites and other content providers [audit trail open to independent verification, and royalty payments including provisions for copyright infringement]
* webwise useragent [making use of a new Allow protocol, not to be confused with the robots.txt Disallow protocol]
* privacy policy which discloses the loss of privacy and confidentiality of communications and provides a layman's explanation of behavioural targeting by 3rd parties, etc per informed consent requirements.
* etc [only the main items listed]

The only 2 items that have been mentioned in press releases are the opt-in and removal of reliance on cookies, with no timescale on when these changes will be implemented.
Updates on the other items are eagerly awaited.