View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 01:54   #13644
morphisafb
Inactive

morphisafb can only hope to improve
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts - Not allowed an opinion of me own, slinks off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Read the thread. Some people object to the whole thing (ads and everything). Some people (like myself) merely object to the fact that Phorm will be storing a profile on everyone, and even though they are supposedly anonymising the data , there is some evidence to suggest it can be de-anonymised. They also object to the fact that if earlier reports are correct, the system routinely stores the details of *every* page visited by an opted-in customer, then at some point reduces this data to profile a user. Until this happens, even assuming Phorm are totally trustworthy , then your data is a potential target for hackers. Hackers wouldn't be interested in a lot of the stuff people look at, but they might be interested in, say, credit card and bank account details. Both of which could theoretically be stored by Phorm.

So, no, the debate isn't just about targetted advertising.
Facts mate, facts not theories, not "some evidence to suggest" nor any of the other maybes etc..

I take it like other forums where this stuff festers, to even disagree with this witch hunt you get stamped on quick.
Got the drift, shan't bother you again - carry on...