Old 18-07-2008, 11:01   #12087
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Privacy_Matters is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
BERR- Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform

Anyone been in touch with them? Letters, references, statements from ministers etc.?
I wrote to Alistair Darling, my MP - and he contacted BERR, namely John Hutton MP.

I will note that the response from Mr Hutton is extremely empty, and appears to contain alot of Phorm PR. Additionally, he sent me the ICO Website Article (which I have viewed so many time already).

Quote - para 2 from the letter:

As you may be aware, some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) have announced plans to track Internet web activity using Phorm's Webwise and Open Internet Exchange (OIX) products. Many web pages, including for example search engine results pages, include advertising which may or may not be of interest to the customer. Phorm enables the ISP to replace these advertisements with others that are relevant to the customer's recent web browsing. This potentially means less irrelevant advertisements for the user and better targeting of their advertisements for the advertgisers, for which they would pay the ISP.

You should note in addition to Mr Hutton drafting this letter to Mr Darling using the Phorm PR as a reference; Mr Hutton also appears to have a few of the facts incorrect.