View Single Post
Old 17-06-2008, 08:46   #9153
JohnnyWashngo
Inactive

JohnnyWashngo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Just a quick question to the people on the forum here who are doing most of the hard work

Has anybody written a letter, or even an article, for 2600 magazine in the states?

They are very privacy and security minded and their latest issue (spring 2008) has a fantastic editorial about how the US and the UK (with its surplus of CCTV cameras) are sleepwalking into an orwellian surveillance society where people are tracked and monitored through various means, 24 hours a day.

When reading the magazine last week, it struck me how these ideas, which 20 years ago were unthinkable, are now pretty much a reality. They make a point in that by introducing these methods under the banner of protection (be it from nasty people phishing for your data, like Phorm, or from other boogeymen, like terrorists) they soften the blow for when they start to actually use these methods for monitoring civilians. It is very much the thin end of the wedge and this whole campaign against Phorm and its adoption by the big three in the UK will be right up there street.

If nobody has written to them about this, I would suggest doing so. The only downside is that your need to be a subscriber to do so and my subscription lapsed last year