View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 06:33   #8089
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
On cookies: Reading 4th section (page 46 of 52 in footer) - I see the 3rd paragraph states cookie dropping could not be done in this trial due to the legal position. So I'm not sure they did do this but if someone has evidence or has read in the hefty document that they did, I'll happily stand corrected.

Hank
Exactly - so they did it illegally - that's what the 2weeks pre-trial ads on popular 3rd party sites were for - to get as many 121Media cookies secretly dropped on people's systems as possible in advance - p7 "Normally the PageSense system deploys cookies directly to user's (sic) machines. BT's Broadband terms and conditions prevented this approach. Instead 121Media conducted an initial cookie drop exercise. For two weeks prior to the trial proper 121Media purchased advertising space on popular third-party websites from which cookies were dropped directly onto users machines. This approach in turn constrained the effectiveness of the BTRT trial since not all of the 10,000 triallists were covered by the initial-drop. Estimations were made that approximately 7,000 had received a cookie."

Aren't Terms and Conditions a pain? But never mind we can get round them, although darn it-we do feel our effectiveness has been constrained.