View Single Post
Old 28-05-2008, 18:02   #7381
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Let me just add a little extra info to clarify matters. The Layer 7 Switch performing the Deep Packet Inspection looks for a cookie, whether you have a cookie or not, it forwards the packets to the webwise system, which will then attempt to set a cookie. If it is unable to set a webwise cookie it assumes it is blocked and blacklists the IP for about 6 minutes if I remember correctly (I would need to check on the time the IP stays blacklisted).

But regardless of whether a cookie is present or not, the first point in the system (the DPI switch) is going to forward everything to webwise and if webwise is blocked, that means you can't go anywhere.

Alexander Hanff[/QUOTE]

Well I've been monitoring BT for over 12 months, although I didn't know it was Phorm behind it I knew the BT Service was doing strange things!

"How many infinite loops can the Webwise system itself take if it does not find a cookie which it may be depending on?", is also maybe a question to ask. This however depends on the way the router system is set up!

But I'll leave it there & wait to see by trial & error, if they do a consistent test instead of random network testing.