View Single Post
Old 21-05-2008, 00:47   #6911
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
I remember being gobsmacked when I first put my postcode, name of my road and surname into pcguard privacy blocker. I couldn't believe how many sites were grabbing my details.

On a slightly off topic note, I've just bought one of those asus eee thingys. I like it a lot! Knowing there is a canny lot of bods posting on here, could anyone kindly point me towards some Linux Anti-virus/anti-spyware/firewall software? Ideally with a bit of a free trial so I can see if it grinds to a halt before I buy?
</end off topic>
Hi. You don't really need anti-virus software for Linux, except insofar as to not be a passive carrier of Windows viruses. I wouldn't bother.

For an easy to use Firewall configurator, check out: 'Firestarter'.

You might want to install 'chkrootkit' and 'rkhunter', which are rootkit hunters. Though I've never been infected with a rootkit in six years of using Linux.

---------- Post added at 00:47 ---------- Previous post was at 00:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
Hi. You don't really need anti-virus software for Linux, except insofar as to not be a passive carrier of Windows viruses. I wouldn't bother.

For an easy to use Firewall configurator, check out: 'Firestarter'.

You might want to install 'chkrootkit' and 'rkhunter', which are rootkit hunters. Though I've never been infected with a rootkit in six years of using Linux.