View Single Post
Old 17-05-2008, 19:06   #6773
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
BT have said, categorically, that as far as the Webwise trial goes, they will not inject javascript - so it will be interesting to see if this "Webwise is ON/OFF" message relies on javascript injection or is just "one of the ads" that they deliver to the page.

But a lot of sewage has flowed under the bridge since that article.

The mere delivery of an AD on a page from another Server stating Webwise ON or OFF would still be proof of constant redirection/profiling, if/when Webwise was supposed to not be profiling!
This in effect would be "Page Injection" by the Phorm System for which I would account BT responsible!
My money is on it being Kent talking rubbish again. (Shock, horror!)
As you say, if Webwise is off, how do they control ANYTHING I see - especially as the BT Webwise "diagrams" (ha ha) show non-opted-in customers going nowhere near the Phorm equipment.

At the present state of play my gut feeling is that whatever system BT trial (due in the next 10 days -if they trial anything) it won't be a bit like what Kent Ertugrul former rootkit merchant has been talking about. But there again - that relies on BT Retail being
a) sensible
b) competent
c) having integrity
d) wanting to obey the law
e) having any regard at all for their customers

So maybe I'm being over-optimistic.

However - I do think there are some people in BT Retail currently buying in extra anti-perspirant and toilet paper which is a comforting thought.

Incidentally - I'm starting to distinguish in my posts and letters and emails betwen BT, BT Retail and BT Wholesale - it worries them when you do that.