View Single Post
Old 17-03-2008, 13:49   #1287
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHISTLED View Post
On the reverse Tesco hold more information on most f you than any direct marketing software ever will.
And herin lies the rub. Most people are willing to give up some element of privacy for an element of payback.
Clubcard - you allow Tesco to track your buying habits, in return they give you money and customised money off coupons. With clubcard rewards they then build in an escalator to the value of the money so ten quid of vouchers becomes forty quid of meal or cinema vouchers etc.

Google - you acknowledge they know your search history (if you are logged into google when you search), in return their searches find what you are looking for, otherwise the adverts are customised to that search, as a search page is dynamically built this is not unreasonable. The Phorm approach means you might be searching for Cars and seing adverts about iPods because you searched or surfed for them last week.

Sky multiroom - You allow the boxes to dial in to get the discount for having more than one box. You also allow them to monitor some of your viewing habits.

Phorm - they put customised adverts in some of the advertising spaces that already exist on a website. They protect you from Phising (but so does IE7 out of the box, and Safari? and you can get plugins for other browsers to do the same for free). So where is the value add to the consumer. There is none.
Or as TBL put it http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7299875.stm
Quote:
It's mine - you can't have it. If you want to use it for something, then you have to negotiate with me. I have to agree, I have to understand what I'm getting in return.