View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 02:34   #833
isf
Inactive

isf is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
you opt-out,its been said time and again,the data gets sent as far as the profiler at least, so they are subject to handling and collecting at least, as regards the UK IC DPA.

as they now say this data wont get anonymised and then passed along, so its still got the IP and other potential legally defined personal data inside.
My complaint has always been technical, that opt-out should be at the network level per subscriber and requests from those who opt out should never reach phorms anonymiser or profiler. So I followed your advice and put some effort in, skimming both the DPA and 2002/58. Indeed, any ISP seriously considering the current opt-out phorm system needs to hire a legal team who understand "legal stuff".

Alternatively ISPs could allow subscriber opt-in at layer 3; avoiding the legal and technical issues with phorms value-subtracting service entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
EXACTLY!

If Phorm don't have that information passed to them, AND the ISP's trace data on an individual IP address date and time....then it isn't personal information.
The web page itself may be, where the user is logged-in or has an active session.

Quote:
If you strip out all the crud, you might get down to an average of 25KB per page. Then, you’d get around 20 million pages into 500GB of RAM.

Or they could scan for keywords and only store association data... who am I kidding? Based on the design of the rest of the system, phorm are probably doing it exactly like you say