View Single Post
Old 28-02-2008, 19:07   #284
ahardie

Services: XL tv/L internet, Tivo(1Tb.), SA V+.
Re: Virgin Media Ad Deal [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Have you actually read the Ernst & Young so called "approval"? It's a complete red herring and not worth the electrons needed to download it.

Firstly they audit against USA accountancy standards. We are talking about a system the needs to meet the UK standards. There is no specific audit against the Data Protection Act, or other privacy rules.

Secondly the disclaimers used, make the "certification" worthless:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernst & Young Phorm Audit
Because of inherent limitations in controls, error or fraud may occur and not be detected
Furthermore, the projection of any conclusions, based on our findings, to future periods is subject to the risk that the validity of such conclusions may be altered because of changes made to the Service or controls, the failure to make needed changes to the Service or controls, or a deterioration in the deree of effectiveness of the controls

The bold is my highlight of a statement that basically implies they've vetted it, but don't really know.
Well on your first point, It probably has nothing to do with what country's laws apply because according to post 102 Ernst and Young are checking whether the systems safeguard total anonymity. Obviously the laws of the UK also act as a safeguard. That being the case I still think it is scaremongering to say they are building personal profiles.

Your second point is more of a concern but it maybe that they (Ernst and Young) are only saying that they were not asked to check out that aspect of it. I'm not being blasé, I would just like clarification what that means.

I should add that I am against Virgin doing this but I think that claiming that it is a major breach of privacy is an exaggeration. If it was that bad then as you have already implied it would be against the law of the land.