View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 00:14   #19
DombeyBlue
Inactive

DombeyBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wireless Router Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
OK, until such time as you can browse to the internet using an ethernet lead only direct between the PC and modem, forget trying to use the router. Something else (maybe additional) to the router is wrong.

We must get the network port on your computer running first. In Windows Control Panel, (classic view) > system > pop up window > hardware > device manager, please confirm that there are no red crosses or yellow exclamation marks against any item. If there are you need to fix that by loading the drivers for the missing bit's of hardware.

From Control panel > network connections, is the status of your ethernet card showing "enabled" (you can change it by right clicking). Assuming yes, then right click the connection, select properties. Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) should be ticked. Select that and click properties. Make sure both options of obtain an IP address automatically and DNS automatically are selected. Click OK to shut all down.

In Internet Explorer menus select Tools > options > connections. Make sure never dial a connection is ticked. Lan Settings should have nothing selected.

Now power off the modem and computer. Pull your USB connection from computer and modem. Connect only an ethernet lead between the modem and network port of the computer. Power on modem let settle, power computer. If you can't get a connection now, try an alternate ethernet lead. If that won't work then I have to start suspecting something odd with your modem, and that might need you to be phoning the expensive Virgin Media support line.

Hi

When I go into Network connections, there are two local area connections. One is my cable modem and the second is the network card which has a red cross. There are also two computers on my tool bar with a red cross on, which says I have a cable unplugged.

I am starting to suspect it may be the modem playing up. I have no problem with a USB connection though.
DombeyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote