Thread: FTP vs SMB
View Single Post
Old 18-09-2007, 17:09   #4
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Re: FTP vs SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpod View Post
Thats why i prefer the NFS i think.No transfer times with a mounted share.
I`ve really only got Freenas on an old p3(700Mhz,256Mb) just to try it out but i actually quite like the thing.It would need a proper home though....(wfa??)
Saying all that,i think it`s also quite probably overkill for our needs at the moment.

I currently(pre-freenas)have a 40G partition on one of my own desktops two drives given over to NFS,hence the kids all have easy access to our shared videos & stuff from their own pc`s if needs be.
I`ll only even start the nfs server daemon/portmapper if someone needs access though and it`s not exactly a constant need.

A whole machine needing left on just so the young un`s have constant access to their videos & junk seems a wee bit much.Still a great idea though...as well as being a good recycling solution of course
Not sure if mine will be running freenas much longer, sata card arrived this morning quickly popped it in and freenas wasn't seeing it.

Not sure if the card i bought has its own Bios or not, as i got it on ebay, was a cheap card didn't want to spent a lot on one as i don't know if it would work in that pc.

i believe the chipset should be supported by freenas / linux its a via VIA VT6321a

Might go for a linux server install if i can't get the card working in freenas, was thinking of either debian or centos.

Assuming I get the card working the box will make a nice server, I did have a NAS caddy thing but it kept locking up all the time and was slow

Only really had a couple minutes spare to shove the card in and boot the system so haven't yet played about. will do later.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote