View Single Post
Old 22-10-2006, 22:36   #8
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
Re: Question about SKY HD quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1021 View Post
I have just had sky hd installed, but I have not yet purchased my hd tv yet.
At the moment I have a panasonic 36 inch 100 htz tv.
Without a doubt the picture I am getting through the hd channels is better even though it is only connected thru scart.I know its not hd but can anyone tell me why the picture is better, I have noticed that the football broadcasts do not have the compression like aura around the players that you get with normal sky.I would be interested to hear any comments
I'm not a huge expert on these things, but it's not surprising that the picture quality is better. The amount of bandwidth that HD requires is of course much greater than standard broadcasts, as well as using a different encoding algorythm. The usual Sky channels are very much subject to blockiness and artifacts, so this would be less pronouced on HD.

Of course, you'll get the full benefit, as you know, on an HD TV.

What is interesting is that watching standard Sky channels on an HD TV really shows up the poor quality of the system in comparison - which is my main reason for not buying an HD TV right now.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote