View Single Post
Old 18-07-2004, 23:39   #40
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte
Re: Poor wireless connectivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
Well.... time for drastic measures. I "turned off" the wireless modem (on my lappy, there is an external button in the case to swith off the wireless modem) and connected a spare Netgear usb adaptor I had. As ZrByte said it would, WinXP threw hissy fit after hissy fit. I suspect I need to change the Intel mini-pci crap that is in there (not only does ZrByte have probs with his, other people online have had it too.) Before I do it, has anyone done this? I've never opened a laptop before, does anyone have any hints? Would any mini-pci wireless adaptor work? The laptop is the HP zt3010us. There is a real lack of info. Someone did say though that you have to buy a wireless adaptor to fit your notebook. Does anyone know which ones might? IBM seem to do one. I'm a bit loathed to buy another one, but would the Intel2200 be any better?

Any and every piece of advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thanx
To remove the wireless card simply open up the mini PCI bay at the bottom of the laptop, you will see the card seated in the slot. Firstly remove the two wires (It may be worthwhile to make a note of wich wire connects to wich socket) they are socketed normally so just pull gently but firmly and they should come off. Taking the card out of the slot is very similar to how you remove Edo RAM, simply push the metal clips away either side and the card will simply pop up, then you can pull it out and that is that.
I dont know if there are any specific incompatibilities with certain mini PCI and certain laptops so I couldnt say, however, you could just remove the card alltogether and go with a PCMCIA (Like I am currently since mine lost the will to live again) or a USB.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote