Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Divorcing a sibling (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33701220)

alanbjames 10-08-2015 20:42

Divorcing a sibling

I'm curious to know if anyone here knows about divorcing a sibling.

The reason being, my sister is a nasty piece of work and I want to make sure if I popped my clogs she couldn't contest my will.

Thanks.

Hom3r 10-08-2015 21:00

Re: Divorcing a sibling

A good will, and I would guess a document that you are compos mentis.

I will ask my sister, who deals with wills/families etc, but shes out of the country (Canaries) until the 20th.

Derek 10-08-2015 21:40

Seeing the courts decided to re write the will of a perfectly mentally competent woman last week to give a sizeable inheritance to her daughter that she clearly didn't wish to leave anything to I would imagine anything you do is liable to revision after you're gone. :(

Maggy 10-08-2015 22:42

Spend all your money and leave a happy corpse.

I inherited nothing from my parents and have made my own way.My children will have to do the same.

Ken W 11-08-2015 05:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35792908)

I inherited nothing from my parents and have made my own way.My children will have to do the same.

Same here.

papa smurf 11-08-2015 07:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35792908)

i started off with nothing and i still have most of it left .

when any one asks what are you leaving when your gone i reply THE BILL ;)

Osem 11-08-2015 09:11

Given the rate at which laws/rules are changing these days I wouldn't bank on anything being certain anymore, aside from death and taxes. Having said that, unless you have a fairly sizeable estate (e.g. a property) I don't see how it'd be financially worthwhile for your sister to challenge your will.

weenie 11-08-2015 13:05

Just a thought alanbjames could you not leave your sister 1 pence in your will quoting that you are in sound state of mind at the time of the will.

alanbjames 11-08-2015 13:36

The main thing i wish to leave is the house as it has been passed down for generations and i want my son to have it. Even tho he is in a relationship with another man he assures me he wants to have kids so he can then pass the house down again.

weenie 11-08-2015 13:45

I would have thought your son would have more rights to the house than your sister but I'm no legal expert. IMO it's your house and you can leave it to who you want to. Our will clearly states that the house will go to our two son's. I have left my sister a necklace that she has always admired but the rest of our belongings and savings goes to the two boy's.

Kymmy 11-08-2015 13:49

Even the if you didn't have a will your wife would inherit everything. If no spouse then your children would get equal share. Your sister would not be able to claim anything.

The court case everyone got worried about was a direct descendant and not a sibling who probably would not haveggot anything unless the direct next of kin.

So stop worrying about something that is a non issue.

Hom3r 11-08-2015 20:25

Sign the house over to your son now, providing you live longer that 7 years (IIRC) it will become his, and NOT be challenged.

You could write in about you living there etc.

alanbjames 12-08-2015 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35793092)
Sign the house over to your son now, providing you live longer that 7 years (IIRC) it will become his, and NOT be challenged.

You could write in about you living there etc.

Thats a good idea actually.

I have always been a pretty easy going dad and when my son came out he said he wished to live with his boyfriend who is a great guy but they couldnt afford a place together so i said why not live together here. His mum A.K.A my ex wife doesnt have anything to do with him because when he came out she disowned him.

We are very close the 3 of us and they both know if they need help or advice im here.

Hom3r 12-08-2015 22:10

I will ask my sister as this question she should be able to point in the right direction. but you need proper legal paperwork etc.

alanbjames 13-08-2015 11:58

Thanks Hom3r

Osem 13-08-2015 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 35793232)
Thats a good idea actually.

I have always been a pretty easy going dad and when my son came out he said he wished to live with his boyfriend who is a great guy but they couldnt afford a place together so i said why not live together here. His mum A.K.A my ex wife doesnt have anything to do with him because when he came out she disowned him.

We are very close the 3 of us and they both know if they need help or advice im here.

As always, there are pros and cons:

http://www.howellslegal.co.uk/news/p...-Consider.aspx