Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

Raider999 03-11-2019 10:54

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36015960)
Well, Virgin and Liberty Global were clear they wanted to be content aggregators.

Virgin are good at saying, but not so good at achieving in my experience.

jfman 03-11-2019 10:58

Quote:

Well, Virgin and Liberty Global were clear they wanted to be content aggregators.

And if it’s not in Apple’s interests how do Liberty compel them to make an over the top streaming service available?

denphone 03-11-2019 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36015969)
And if it’s not in Apple’s interests how do Liberty compel them to make an over the top streaming service available?

Strange how he has not arrived at that outcome yet..;)

OLD BOY 03-11-2019 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36015969)

Why would Apple not want to be? They have made it clear they want to be on as many platforms as possible. That is the key to success. Of course.

muppetman11 03-11-2019 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36015972)
Why would Apple not want to be? They have made it clear they want to be on as many platforms as possible. That is the key to success. Of course.

Early on they'll want people buying Apple devices to view it on hence why they are offering 12 months free with Apple hardware purchases.

jfman 03-11-2019 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36015972)

Can you provide a source and quote?

They don’t even have an Android app which is odd for a streamer. I can’t find any indication it’s on any traditional TV platform anywhere in the world.

Chris 03-11-2019 13:54

Quote:

And yet Apple aren’t there at launch. There are various possible reasons why. Discussing them here would be mere speculation. But that’s very much the point some of us have been making to you for ages. You seem to think these things are self evident, but the evidence of this week is that they are not self evident; they are rather more complex than you seem willing to entertain.

Media Boy UK 04-11-2019 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36015704)
The latest name in Sky's other areas is Sky X in Austria.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 36015830)
Well, that's a easy one: Peacock, their NBC/Universal streamer to launch. But what happened to Sky Q aka full Sky's full IPTV for the UK?

Sky X and Peacock is NOT the name Media Boy HQ has seen.

We want to see more info from our Sources before we reveal.

Stephen 04-11-2019 16:13

Sky X is the name of the IPTV service, in the regions it's already launched.

Chris 04-11-2019 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36016091)
Sky X and Peacock is NOT the name Media Boy HQ has seen.

We want to see more info from our Sources before we reveal.

Seriously dude ... you’re a he, not a we, and your HQ is your house. Props and all for wanting to reveal news about virgin media but let’s not get carried away, eh? :D

Media Boy UK 05-11-2019 10:45

XF

OLD BOY 05-11-2019 11:07

I think this is the answer to those concerned about forking out shedloads of money for new streaming services. The new Peacock service will be free to all, supported by advertising.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...-free-for-all/

I have been advocating lately that many streamers will offer both an advertising and subscription option and I think this would work for everyone.

However, I guess there will always be those that offer free ad-supported services only (like this one) and those offering subscription only (like Netflix).

muppetman11 05-11-2019 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36016148)
I think this is the answer to those concerned about forking out shedloads of money for new streaming services. The new Peacock service will be free to all, supported by advertising.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...-free-for-all/

I have been advocating lately that many streamers will offer both an advertising and subscription option and I think this would work for everyone.

However, I guess there will always be those that offer free ad-supported services only (like this one) and those offering subscription only (like Netflix).

Old news that was announced ages ago although to be fair the part about the possibility of offering everybody the ad supported service is new I suppose.

OLD BOY 05-11-2019 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36016153)
Old news that was announced ages ago although to be fair the part about the possibility of offering everybody the ad supported service is new I suppose.

That was the part I was referring to. Originally, it looked as though Peacock might only nbe available to Sky satellite and Now TV customers.

However, it did also prompt my observation that this was a good indication that some major streamers might be free, given reports from some forum members that they were concerned about mounting subscription costs as new streamers launched.

muppetman11 05-11-2019 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36016165)
That was the part I was referring to. Originally, it looked as though Peacock might only nbe available to Sky satellite and Now TV customers.

However, it did also prompt my observation that this was a good indication that some major streamers might be free, given reports from some forum members that they were concerned about mounting subscription costs as new streamers launched.

NBCUniversal have already stated they can receive around $5 per subscriber from advertising which seems a pretty good move to me it also gives them a huge customer base.

OLD BOY 05-11-2019 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36016166)
NBCUniversal have already stated they can receive around $5 per subscriber from advertising which seems a pretty good move to me it also gives them a huge customer base.

I agree, but they would attract even more viewers if they also had a subscription model.

Speaking for both myself and my wife, I would certainly watch the ad-free subscription version, but not the free one with unskippable advertisements. I am sure we are not the only ones to say that.

Horizon 05-11-2019 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36016144)
XF

Does that mean Comcast are going to launch their xfinity service here?

muppetman11 05-11-2019 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 36016192)
Does that mean Comcast are going to launch their xfinity service here?

xfinity Flex
https://www.xfinity.com/learn/flex

muppetman11 05-11-2019 21:42

This is interesting

https://advanced-television.com/2019...ve-with-canal/

Aguero9320 05-11-2019 22:12

I’ve just signed to a 30-day trial for BritBox. Does anyone know if it’s still in beta testing? If yes, please can I have a rough date for an official launch.

muppetman11 05-11-2019 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 36016222)
I’ve just signed to a 30-day trial for BritBox. Does anyone know if it’s still in beta testing? If yes, please can I have a rough date for an official launch.

Yes it's still in beta , I believe end of November to early December for official launch.

OLD BOY 06-11-2019 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36016221)

It is. Notice that this super aggregator also has a deal with Apple in place, which is what Virgin should be doing.

jfman 06-11-2019 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36016233)
It is. Notice that this super aggregator also has a deal with Apple in place, which is what Virgin should be doing.

The deal with Canal+ is a hardware deal, not a content deal.

OLD BOY 06-11-2019 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36016260)
The deal with Canal+ is a hardware deal, not a content deal.

Ok, thank you. I had mistakenly assumed that Apple + would be available through the Apple TV equipment provided to Canal + customers.

jfman 06-11-2019 17:29

It’s an interesting twist on how this could go for an ISP, or a cable operator, seeking to reduce their costs to step away from third party content almost completely and bundle an Apple TV (Or similar product) and their own app with an internet service. Then leave users to decide what they want to take “over the top” by themselves.

Virgin, and Horizon STBs, do have the capability to do this as opposed to delivery over DVB-C. The TV side would then benefit from capacity upgrades of DOCSIS 4.0 with a modem upgrade.

Legendkiller2k 06-11-2019 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36016278)
It’s an interesting twist on how this could go for an ISP, or a cable operator, seeking to reduce their costs to step away from third party content almost completely and bundle an Apple TV (Or similar product) and their own app with an internet service. Then leave users to decide what they want to take “over the top” by themselves.

Virgin, and Horizon STBs, do have the capability to do this as opposed to delivery over DVB-C. The TV side would then benefit from capacity upgrades of DOCSIS 4.0 with a modem upgrade.

Something else interesting too didn't BT reveal they will be working with apple on BTs new tv interface and devices in the near future?

Edit article - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...v-partnership/

pip08456 06-11-2019 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36016294)
Something else interesting too didn't BT reveal they will be working with apple on BTs new tv interface and devices in the near future?

Edit article - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...v-partnership/

NON-paywall report.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...ith-apple.html

or this

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-repo...pay-tv-teamup/

Or this

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...ership-3601428

Why do people insist on posting paywalled links when there's so many non paywalled out there.

jfman 06-11-2019 20:06

If you Google for a news story (e.g. Virgin Vodafone) and it offers an FT link that shows the full article. If you copy and paste the address bar it goes to the paywall.

No idea why but it makes it easy to forget the paywall is there.

pip08456 06-11-2019 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36016302)
If you Google for a news story (e.g. Virgin Vodafone) and it offers an FT link that shows the full article. If you copy and paste the address bar it goes to the paywall.

No idea why but it makes it easy to forget the paywall is there.

Strange, as soon as I see an FT or Telegraph link on here I know its paywalled.
Perhaps my short and long term memory is better than yours.

Don't worry, I'll keep reminding you and others until it sinks in.

jfman 06-11-2019 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36016309)

I can't legislate for your inability to follow instructions.

denphone 06-11-2019 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36016309)

You don't need to remind me.;)

denphone 07-11-2019 05:35

Channel 4 to join new UK streaming platform BritBox.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...atform-britbox

Quote:

BritBox, which is due to unveil its launch plans on Thursday, is being pitched as an additional streaming service for viewers who want to view classic British television programmes and films, rather than as a direct competitor to Netflix. It will be priced at £5.99 a month, cheaper than rivals, with its backers hoping to capitalise on the interest in family viewing in the run-up to Christmas.
Quote:

Channel 4’s shows will join the service early next year.
Quote:

BritBox member channels will continue to run their own catch-up services.

OLD BOY 07-11-2019 08:03

It is good news that Britbox will be showing content from all the main terrestrial channels. However, a notable omission from this article was any reference to original programming. I wonder if that is significant, and whether perhaps a decision has been made not to go there yet.

From what I can see, I would have viewed all the content on there already that would be of any interest to me, so I won't be subscribing for now. However, I can see how attractive this service would be to some.

Maybe this service will enable people to cut back on the amount they record from the main channels, particularly if you could guarantee that they would, in fact, appear on Britbox.

daveoc14 07-11-2019 08:14

The front page of BBC News is reporting that BritBox has gone live today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50320731

denphone 07-11-2019 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveoc14 (Post 36016335)

And one can try 30 days for free.

https://www.britbox.co.uk/

OLD BOY 07-11-2019 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveoc14 (Post 36016335)

Glad to see that Britbox will, in fact, have new shows on it as well. The earlier Guardian report did not mention this!

muppetman11 07-11-2019 10:27

Britbox will struggle in my opinion.

denphone 07-11-2019 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36016347)

Don't be the Messenger of bad tidings MM as you know it won't go down well with OB.;)

muppetman11 07-11-2019 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36016348)
Don't be the Messenger of bad tidings MM as you know it won't go down well with OB.;)

It will struggle in my opinion for several reasons

1. Only available on TV from launch on Samsung TV and Apple TV.
2. On the link posted here today it says they'll still have content on Netflix , Amazon etc.
3. Many pay TV deals in place for archive BBC and ITV content for those who have traditional pay TV.
4. iPlayer has certain Boxsets available
5. UKTV still show many of the old shows.
6. Too much competition from bigger global players many of which they are still making content available on.

denphone 07-11-2019 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36016349)

2. On the link posted here today it says they'll still have content on Netflix , Amazon etc.
3. Many pay TV deals in place for archive BBC and ITV content for those who have traditional pay TV.
6. Too much competition from bigger global players many of which they are still making content available on.

Indeed as we have a LG TV which are popular TV's but there are many households with Sony , Panasonic and other makes of TV as well.

Having content still on Amazon , Netflix etc is not a good start either.

Having pay TV deals in place for archive BBC and ITV content for those who have traditional pay TV was always going to be another significant barrier as you have pointed out.

As yourself and many have already pointed out in that UKTV has much of this older content which is another barrier to take up.

Britbox remind me of a non league football team who is trying to stick one on a much bigger opponent and generally 99% of the time the ending does not end well.

Legendkiller2k 07-11-2019 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36016347)

I think so too i've already seen a large number of comments on other sites saying people are not paying for britbox when they pay tv licence.
Also being on very limited devices at launch won't help i feel.

Raider999 07-11-2019 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36016333)
It is good news that Britbox will be showing content from all the main terrestrial channels. However, a notable omission from this article was any reference to original programming. I wonder if that is significant, and whether perhaps a decision has been made not to go there yet.

From what I can see, I would have viewed all the content on there already that would be of any interest to me, so I won't be subscribing for now. However, I can see how attractive this service would be to some.

Maybe this service will enable people to cut back on the amount they record from the main channels, particularly if you could guarantee that they would, in fact, appear on Britbox.

£6 to watch endless repeats of programmes shown for FREE many years ago - won't be getting anything from me!

jfman 07-11-2019 17:33

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50331667

Older Samsung TV models losing access to Netflix (2010, 2011 models).

I accept these are old televisions, however for those that want to plug their telly in and just watch it this is a backward step.

buckeye 07-11-2019 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36016407)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50331667

Older Samsung TV models losing access to Netflix (2010, 2011 models).

I accept these are old televisions, however for those that want to plug their telly in and just watch it this is a backward step.

That is old news and to be frank I'm quite surprised such old TV's still have access to Netflix.
8 and 9 years is an exceptionally long time for the so called smart functions of a smart TV to still be working. Buyers of those sets have had better support than most people will ever receive.

On another note Reed Hastings has ruled out having advertising on Netflix as well as welcoming competition from Disney and other streamers

https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/07/...than-subscrip/

OLD BOY 07-11-2019 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36016348)

I only tell it as I see it, Den. What will be, will be.

I wish Britbox well but I won't be subscribing myself, at least while the offerings remain as they are.

In the longer term, it may be that Britbox replaces the linear channels, at which time it will increase its popularity considerably. If it hasn't fallen over by then, of course.

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:30 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36016349)

My comments are:

1. You can also access Britbox on the Amazon Fire stick via Firefox. However, I am very surprised that they should have so few platforms from which to launch this service. Even Roku doesn't have it yet, despite the fact that Apple+ launched on the platform on day one. I think it was a huge omission not to have Britbox up and running on Sky, Virgin, BT and Talk Talk.It sounds to me that maybe it has been a bit rushed.

2. I guess there are contractual reasons for not pulling the material from other platforms, but it will be interesting to see whether any newer stuff from the terrestrials finds its way there.

3. True.

4. Also true.

5. Hazarding a guess, I think the UKTV channels will be withdrawn at some point, but it does depend on the extent to which these channels are regarded as taking away potential subscribers from Britbox.

6. I can't see many people ditching Netflix or Amazon for Britbox. Britbox is going to appeal to a particular type of audience at the moment - those who really like the UKTV channels in particular. Others will be attracted to it when the number of originals on it make it worthwhile.

spankysmagicpian 07-11-2019 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36016415)
6. I can't see many people ditching Netflix or Amazon for Britbox. Britbox is going to appeal to a particular type of audience at the moment - those who really like the UKTV channels in particular. Others will be attracted to it when the number of originals on it make it worthwhile.

I'd consider subbing IF they showed some classic programmes rather then just recycle whats on every other service going such as UKTV, Prime etc.

Talking Pictures are picking up on the classic shows at the moment - just started to watch Catweazle each weekend which as far as I can remember hasn't been on in decades.
More shows like this which haven't been on for years would peak my interest.

Aguero9320 07-11-2019 22:24

Disney+’s UK launch date now official: 31st March 2020.

http://whatsondisneyplus.com/disney-...on-march-31st/

DVD Cinema 08-11-2019 05:32

Britbox will have movies from Film 4 too in 2020.

I hope they are in Dolby 5.1.

OLD BOY 08-11-2019 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 36016443)

It will be interesting to see what is on offer in the UK. In the US, there will also be the Hulu and ESPN strands available. Without these, Disney + will not be the draw that it is over the pond, although I guess it will still be popular.

According to the link below, 25% of Brits intend to subscribe to Disney+ when it launches over here. That's a pretty good start.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...ing-to-disney/

muppetman11 08-11-2019 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36016452)
It will be interesting to see what is on offer in the UK. In the US, there will also be the Hulu and ESPN strands available. Without these, Disney + will not be the draw that it is over the pond, although I guess it will still be popular.

You have been told this multiple times , ESPN has no key UK rights and has a deal with BT for some of its US Sport so no chance of that.

Hulu still offers content from ABC , NBC , Fox and Warner so no chance of that anytime soonin its current form.

denphone 08-11-2019 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36016453)
You have been told this multiple times , ESPN has no key UK rights and has a deal with BT for some of its US Sport so no chance of that.

Hulu still offers content from ABC , NBC , Fox and Warner so no chance of that anytime soonin its current form.

Its rather strange that OB who has been preaching to us all about the great virtues of streaming has suddenly got cold feet about Britbox and Disney+.:D

jfman 08-11-2019 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36016452)

According to the link below, 25% of Brits intend to subscribe to Disney+ when it launches over here. That's a pretty good start.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...ing-to-disney/

Software company selling a product to users who might use it for piracy asks customer base if they intend to subscribe to streaming services.

“Of course I do, M’Lud”.

I do agree though, if 16 million people subscribed on day 1 that would be a good start. It’s just extremely unlikely.

OLD BOY 08-11-2019 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36016453)

No need to get shirty, muppetman. I know that, and perhaps you should read my post again. All I said was that without ESPN and Hulu, Disney + won't be as popular.

I am well aware that we won't be getting these strands over here for the time being.

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36016456)
Its rather strange that OB who has been preaching to us all about the great virtues of streaming has suddenly got cold feet about Britbox and Disney+.:D

Not at all. I have only said that streaming will ultimately take over from linear channels.

That doesn't mean that I will sign up to anything regardless of content.

Disney stuff is of no interest to me and Britbox will be full of old programmes I have already seen or I have no wish to see. Why would I subscribe to either?

You should know by now that I don't watch anything that doesn't hold any interest for me.

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36016459)
Software company selling a product to users who might use it for piracy asks customer base if they intend to subscribe to streaming services.

“Of course I do, M’Lud”.

I do agree though, if 16 million people subscribed on day 1 that would be a good start. It’s just extremely unlikely.

I just provided a link for the information of forum members. Whether this turns out to be what happens is another matter. I tend to view surveys and opinion polls with rather a lot of caution.

jfman 08-11-2019 10:47

Another search for the same survey gave an interesting result:

Some 32 per cent of consumers also said they have previously canceled a subscription because it was too hard to watch the show they like because of their location.

Which begs a question, along the lines of the point made by MM, is to they intend to subscribe to UK Disney+ or another version? Will that be sustainable long term or will they clamp down on it?

As someone who supports the free movement goods and services I’d totally support a scenario where I could subscribe to overseas services instead of ours.

denphone 08-11-2019 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36016470)

Some 32 per cent of consumers also said they have previously canceled a subscription because it was too hard to watch the show they like because of their location.

Which begs a question, along the lines of the point made by MM, is to they intend to subscribe to UK Disney+ or another version? Will that be sustainable long term or will they clamp down on it?

As someone who supports the free movement goods and services I’d totally support a scenario where I could subscribe to overseas services instead of ours.

That great utopian world of streaming that OB describes is not looking so great after all.;)

Aguero9320 08-11-2019 12:06

Quote:

It's believed the UK version of Disney+ will be priced at around £6 per month.

pip08456 08-11-2019 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 36016482)
It's believed the UK version of Disney+ will be priced at around £6 per month.

It is believed it will follow the Apple formula of just changing the currency sign. e.g. $6.99, £6.99, and €6.99

denphone 08-11-2019 12:41

Quote:

At launch, Disney+ will be available to stream from its offical website via the usual range of browsers, as well as via dedicated apps for Apple TV, Android devices, Google's Chromecast, iOS and iPadOS devices, PlayStation 4, Roku, and Xbox One consoles.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/disn...k-release-date

pip08456 08-11-2019 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36016470)

What other version will have what UK Disney+ hasn't? What people assume will be the case may be entirely wrong.[COLOR="Silver"]

Geo-locking (which I assume you are referring to) happen if Disney have contractual obligations with another company e.g. Netflix, and as Disney at least with Netflix has cancelled everything on can assume it has happened with others.

jfman 08-11-2019 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36016488)
What other version will have what UK Disney+ hasn't? What people assume will be the case may be entirely wrong.[COLOR="Silver"]

Geo-locking (which I assume you are referring to) happen if Disney have contractual obligations with another company e.g. Netflix, and as Disney at least with Netflix has cancelled everything on can assume it has happened with others.

MM has already indicated an exhaustive list of compelling content that will be bundled with Disney+ products in the USA that we will not get at outset.

How effective, or otherwise, geo-blocking is varies significantly between services. I recognise that it's a contractual obligation to try however the respondents (at least a sizable proportion) of the ExpressVPN survey will not subscribe if they don't get the version they want.

OLD BOY 08-11-2019 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36016472)
That great utopian world of streaming that OB describes is not looking so great after all.;)

I would imagine that the location issue relates to access to the internet and broadband speeds. Nothing new about that. It's all in hand and will not be such an issue in the short to medium term.

Legendkiller2k 08-11-2019 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36016486)
At launch, Disney+ will be available to stream from its offical website via the usual range of browsers, as well as via dedicated apps for Apple TV, Android devices, Google's Chromecast, iOS and iPadOS devices, PlayStation 4, Roku, and Xbox One consoles.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/disn...k-release-date

Add firetv to that now as Disney and Amazon have kissed and made up.

jfman 08-11-2019 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36016493)
I would imagine that the location issue relates to access to the internet and broadband speeds. Nothing new about that. It's all in hand and will not be such an issue in the short to medium term.

The location issue relates to content not being available universally. Netflix USA contains significant amounts of content not available in the UK. I, and many others, have used. VPN services to access content not available in the UK to extract better value from streamers. They, obviously, would not approve.

OLD BOY 08-11-2019 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36016496)
The location issue relates to content not being available universally. Netflix USA contains significant amounts of content not available in the UK. I, and many others, have used. VPN services to access content not available in the UK to extract better value from streamers. They, obviously, would not approve.

I see, thank you; although I must say, our TV channels do not provide all the content available in the US either.

It will be nice if all this changes in the future and we are all able to benefit from true global services. It should be possible, as existing contractual commitments should be discharged within the next five years for the most part.

pip08456 08-11-2019 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36016492)
MM has already indicated an exhaustive list of compelling content that will be bundled with Disney+ products in the USA that we will not get at outset.

How effective, or otherwise, geo-blocking is varies significantly between services. I recognise that it's a contractual obligation to try however the respondents (at least a sizable proportion) of the ExpressVPN survey will not subscribe if they don't get the version they want.

Are you referring to ESPN & Hulu? The are Disney products just as Disney+ is. You seem confused over Disney (a company) and Disney+ (a product).

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36016496)

I think you'll find Disney+ content will be universally available that is why the relase is delayed in the UK and elsewhere.

Quote:

But in the UK, and almost all of Europe, the shining Disney media future is a bit further off. So why the extra wait? Simon Brew, founder and editor of Film Stories magazine, recently highlighted the licensing hurdles that Disney has to go through before a UK launch, and the most notable of those are to do with its existing contracts with European broadcasting behemoth Sky.
Link

jfman 08-11-2019 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36016502)
Are you referring to ESPN & Hulu? The are Disney products just as Disney+ is. You seem confused over Disney (a company) and Disney+ (a product).

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

I think you'll find Disney+ content will be universally available that is why the relase is delayed in the UK and elsewhere.

Link

ESPN and Hulu will, at outset certainly, not be available with Disney+ here or offer the same range of compelling content as in the USA.

I’m perplexed with the difficulty you have with this, MM explained it and the rationale with crystal clarity. Indeed, on a number of occasions now.

pip08456 08-11-2019 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36016504)
ESPN and Hulu will, at outset certainly, not be available with Disney+ here or offer the same range of compelling content as in the USA.

I’m perplexed with the difficulty you have with this, MM explained it and the rationale with crystal clarity. Indeed, on a number of occasions now.

I have no difficulty annd have checked MM's posts going back to end of August and have found no reference to unavailable content fo UK Disney+ customers or US customers.

That the Hulu, ESPN bundle is not available in the UK has no bearing on Disney+ customers.

Chris 08-11-2019 16:28

I couldn’t care less about ESPN. I’ll get Disney+ just because of the Marvel and Lucasfilm content, and because there will also be stuff that appeals to my kids.

jfman 08-11-2019 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36016520)
I have no difficulty annd have checked MM's posts going back to end of August and have found no reference to unavailable content fo UK Disney+ customers or US customers.

That the Hulu, ESPN bundle is not available in the UK has no bearing on Disney+ customers.

A bundle that isn’t available in one country so “has no bearing” when comparing like for like products. That’s a ludicrous assertion and you know it.

pip08456 08-11-2019 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36016528)
A bundle that isn’t available in one country so “has no bearing” when comparing like for like products. That’s a ludicrous assertion and you know it.

No its not as I'm asserting that a Diney+ customer in the UK will get the same content as a Disney plus customer in the US. Both come as stand alone services so can be compared like for like.

jfman 08-11-2019 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36016531)
No its not as I'm asserting that a Diney+ customer in the UK will get the same content as a Disney plus customer in the US. Both come as stand alone services so can be compared like for like.

That’s like comparing Virgin’s standalone broadband pricing against all other broadband products “like for like” ignoring that almost nobody pays it because of far more attractive bundles.

Richardr 08-11-2019 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36016415)
5. Hazarding a guess, I think the UKTV channels will be withdrawn at some point, but it does depend on the extent to which these channels are regarded as taking away potential subscribers from Britbox.

UKTV is wholly owned by the BBC, whereas Britbox is 90% owned by ITV. I don't think that the BBC, having recently agreed to pay Discovery £173m in order to take over these channels are going to give up quite so easily.

muppetman11 08-11-2019 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardr (Post 36016561)
UKTV is wholly owned by the BBC, whereas Britbox is 90% owned by ITV. I don't think that the BBC, having recently agreed to pay Discovery £173m in order to take over these channels are going to give up quite so easily.

That's 100% correct and the BBC have confirmed it.

Mr K 08-11-2019 20:50

Britbox - sounds right up my street, we always did make the best TV. ( will they have Blake's 7 is the big question? ;) )

Netflix - I seem to have survived without it.

denphone 08-11-2019 21:02

Will they have Blake's 7 no l somehow doubt it Mr K.

Chris 08-11-2019 21:20

Blake’s 7 DVD rips have been on YouTube for years and nobody seems bothered about taking them down. They’re even organised in a handy playlist ... all 52 episodes. The BBC sold the rights years ago to a company part-owned by Paul Darrow, which long aspired to either reboot or continue the series, but it never got off the ground. Yet it’s BBC Worldwide that’s the distributor of the original material. They have apparently reissued the DVDs in a commemorative 40th anniversary package which might be what kept the show off the streaming services. So who knows whether it’ll ever appear online officially, but who cares, because it’s all there for free ... I think I’ve watched the whole thing through maybe three times over the last few years. :D

denphone 10-11-2019 05:15

Inappropriate classic UK TV shows to be kept off Britbox service.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...box=1573321143

Quote:

The new £5.99-a-month service, which will also offer shows from Channel 4 and Channel 5, is aiming to compete with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video by positioning itself as the home of the widest library of British shows, old and new.
Surely grown adults themselves can make up their own mind as to whether they want to see this content or not.

Chris 10-11-2019 16:00

No chance they’ll be hosting Curry and Chips then.

OLD BOY 10-11-2019 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36016531)

Looks like you might be right, pip.

https://comicbook.com/movies/2018/11...-fox-purchase/

Hulu will be offered internationally following Disney's purchase of Fox.

Mr K 10-11-2019 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36016743)
No chance they’ll be hosting Curry and Chips then.

That should be banned on the account it was crap.

Till Death do Us Part, however was a classic, we were laughing at Alf Garnett, not with him.

pip08456 10-11-2019 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36016761)
Looks like you might be right, pip.

https://comicbook.com/movies/2018/11...-fox-purchase/

Hulu will be offered internationally following Disney's purchase of Fox.

That article is from last year and I was not referring to it. Makes you wonder why they haven't offered it internationally though.

OLD BOY 10-11-2019 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36016777)
That article is from last year and I was not referring to it. Makes you wonder why they haven't offered it internationally though.

Yes, but I read recently that the contract with Sky ends next year, so maybe we will get additional
content apart from the usual Disney Fayre. It will be interesting to see what transpires.

Legendkiller2k 10-11-2019 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36016780)
Yes, but I read recently that the contract with Sky ends next year, so maybe we will get additional
content apart from the usual Disney Fayre. It will be interesting to see what transpires.

HULU has quite a bit of original content too aswell as content from Awesome studios and some shows that haven't been picked up in uk so it wouldn't surprise me if it launches internationally very soon.

OLD BOY 11-11-2019 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36016781)
HULU has quite a bit of original content too aswell as content from Awesome studios and some shows that haven't been picked up in uk so it wouldn't surprise me if it launches internationally very soon.

If enough of that does appear in the UK version, I would consider subscribing.

Chris 11-11-2019 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36016769)
That should be banned on the account it was crap.

Till Death do Us Part, however was a classic, we were laughing at Alf Garnett, not with him.

I know the intent was always to laugh at the casual racism but I can’t help wondering whether that was lost on much of the mass audience. Also, stripped of its context it is even easier now to just give the show a superficial reading and find offence in the mere speaking of words rather than engaging with the reasons why they’re being said. I suspect if old Alf is going to survive in the public consciousness it will have to be via DVD sales.

Speaking of which, I found that Curry and Chips (apparently also written by Johnny Speight of Alf Garnett fame) actually got a DVD release. It’s marketed, somewhat cheekily, as “the complete series”, but the complete series is only 6 episodes because the ITA banned it. Banned for being racist by a panel of old white men in 1969. That’s got to be an achievement. It’s almost worth finding the DVD just to see how awful it was, but there’s no need because the whole lot seems to be on YouTube :disturbd:

Aguero9320 11-11-2019 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36016780)

IMO, I do see Disney doing the same as what they did in Australia and New Zealand by withdrawing linear channels including Sky Cinema Disney, Disney Junior and Disney XD. In turn, I think Disney will shift ABC/Fox content from Sky 1 and Sky Witness and move it to a relaunched Fox. I could also see the UK and Ireland getting Fox content before the States as Fox content already belongs to Sky, too.

muppetman11 11-11-2019 09:17

BBC, Sky content and technology partnership

https://advanced-television.com/2019...y-partnership/

Sky Press release
https://www.skygroup.sky/corporate/m...gy-partnership

vincerooney 11-11-2019 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36016781)

“Oh not another one!”

A lot of stuff on Hulu in America is found on Netflix in the uk. Does this mean more content splitting and more to pay AGAIN?

Interestingly I’ve got Apple TV for free for a year as I got a new iPhone? Didn’t even know this was a thing. Find the layout of the app as confusing as amazon where it doesn’t tell you what’s free to watch and has different sections to “pay” which you have to be careful to choose after a few drinks

Other than the original Apple stuff any stuff Apple have purchased for this service from other providers?

Chris 11-11-2019 16:21

The Apple interface is even worse than Amazon. At least with Prime there’s a flash in the corner of the cover art to indicate which items are included in the subscription. And while Amazon displays paid and inclusive content on the same screen they do at least separate it into separate rows. So far I’ve not spotted any quick way of telling what’s what on Apple.

(A+ is also free with a student Apple Music subscription).

Legendkiller2k 11-11-2019 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36016834)
“Oh not another one!”

A lot of stuff on Hulu in America is found on Netflix in the uk. Does this mean more content splitting and more to pay AGAIN?

Interestingly I’ve got Apple TV for free for a year as I got a new iPhone? Didn’t even know this was a thing. Find the layout of the app as confusing as amazon where it doesn’t tell you what’s free to watch and has different sections to “pay” which you have to be careful to choose after a few drinks

Other than the original Apple stuff any stuff Apple have purchased for this service from other providers?

It's going to get worse with Warner launching a service too so we could see all dc stuff moved onto that.

OLD BOY 11-11-2019 21:53

Don't forget that someof these services will be subscription free. Peacock will be one of them.

Legendkiller2k 11-11-2019 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36016884)
Don't forget that someof these services will be subscription free. Peacock will be one of them.

Peacock will be two tiers i believe a free ad supported tier and a pay no ad tier.
WB certainly will not be free.
I think hulu will do two tiers a ad supported one at £5.99p/m and a ad free one at £11.99p/m don't forget these companies tend to just change the currency symbol rather than price match.
WWE network has a free version launching soon too.

Legendkiller2k 12-11-2019 12:10

Plex is launching a ad supported tv streaming service so far MGM and WB are onboard and some unnamed studios. https://deadline.com/2019/08/plex-te...ng-1202707252/

Horizon 12-11-2019 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36016877)
It's going to get worse with Warner launching a service too so we could see all dc stuff moved onto that.

Not getting that, at least in the short term as Warner signed a new deal with Sky and Sky will keep all access rights to HBO stuff.

jfman 12-11-2019 20:51

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50390589

Disney+ hit by technical glitches on launch day

Oh no.

denphone 12-11-2019 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36016964)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50390589

Disney+ hit by technical glitches on launch day

Oh no.

Lets hope they sort it before it comes to the UK.

jfman 12-11-2019 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36016968)
Lets hope they sort it before it comes to the UK.

I hope so too. These things can tarnish brands and products.

You don't have to look far across this dark corner of the internet to find people opposed to ITV holding football rights because they showed an advert by mistake during a game in 2010.

The internet never forgets.

ozsat 13-11-2019 15:27

ITV have shown adverts in the middle of live games at least three times - and missed goals on at least two occasions.

Once is forgivable - twice is terrible - three times and you show you don't really care.

ITV still haven't discovered that 5.1 audio now exists - UHD is just a dream.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36016971)
I hope so too. These things can tarnish brands and products.

You don't have to look far across this dark corner of the internet to find people opposed to ITV holding football rights because they showed an advert by mistake during a game in 2010.

The internet never forgets.

muppetman11 13-11-2019 22:02

Disney+ surpasses 10 million subscribers on first day

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13/...l-pixar-launch

Chris 13-11-2019 23:31

Yes, but how many of them got to watch anything? :D