Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   General : Why, Why is Christmas Tv so crap (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33684166)

Arthurgray50@blu 27-12-2011 13:28

Why, Why is Christmas Tv so crap

Is it me or what, l found the Xmas entertainment from all the broadcasters a load of rubbish.

Repeats, repeats, and even a new series by David Jason was well below par, especially for David.

The only show that l watched was Downton Abbey.

If the broadcasters cannot come up with anything better, next year l will go somewhere else for entertainment.:(

martyh 27-12-2011 13:30

Re: Why, Why is Christmas Tv so crap

where you going to go arthur if all the broardcasters are rubbish :D

chris9991 27-12-2011 13:35

Is Christmas TV really that bad? I only watch one or two programmes, rest of the time I'm doing other things

martyh 27-12-2011 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris9991 (Post 35351311)
Is Christmas TV really that bad? I only watch one or two programmes, rest of the time I'm doing other things

That's why christmas tv is so bad ,because people are usually doing other things so not worth the cost of producing new shows that people will not watch because they are doing christmassy things

denphone 27-12-2011 13:41

When l am watching TV l am usually watching something that l have recorded on the Tivo box that way l can watch what l want to watch and at a time that is convenient to me.

Hugh 27-12-2011 13:46

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

MadGamer 27-12-2011 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35351313)
When l am watching TV l am usually watching something that l have recorded on the Tivo box that way l can watch what l want to watch and at a time that is convenient to me.

Same with me, I set my Sky+HD box to record what I want to watch then I watch it when all the other rubbish is on, along with any DVD's I have :)

m8internet 27-12-2011 14:12

Ironic isn't it
It's the entertainment industry, yet they too have to have their holiday
So a skeleton staff are left to push the "start" button as few times as possible

From memory there was a TV channel last year that had made an error and for about 20 minutes nothing was being aired

It was fairly similar with live broadcasts on Christmas Day, routine during the 80s and 90s, these have almost ceased now

Peter_ 27-12-2011 14:13

It is a Christmas Tradition that all the Major Networks abide by and thus we are deluged with a lot of tosh and many repeats, this has happened for as many years as I remember and some networks stick so hard to the rules that they forget to include programmes associated with Christmas.

Crap Christmas Television is a proud National Tradition and long may it survive as we need something to hand down to the future generations, where else could you see such a crap classic as Dad's Army on a Bank Holiday.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2011/12/13.jpg

devilincarnate 27-12-2011 14:14

I think that the broadcasters realise that people have kids and that is why there are a lot of kids programmes on? Also the single people are normally out having a good time. This is my opinion as I do not think that I have watched anything but kids programmes this festive period ( as withe the previous ones )?

MovedGoalPosts 27-12-2011 14:23

Once upon a time Christmas was a major event for the TV companies, mostly before the age of satellite that increased choice and spread the audience too far. There was the big Christmas family movie premiere, the comedy specials, and the soap disaster. These days we've mostly seen the movies on Sky or rented the DVD, there are no really big audience comdies like Only Fools, and we've all got rather bored with Eastenders characters having yet another miserable event.

I used to spend a lot of time tr4ying to work out how to squeeze the Christmas TV schedule onto one VCP. These days despite TV allowing me to record 3 things at once, I struggled to find even one thing worth the effort :(

Mick Fisher 27-12-2011 20:15

Holidays are regarded by TV channels as a big opportunity to save money by showing a deluge repeats, prehistoric movies and Best Of compilations. :(

Maggy 27-12-2011 20:41

They just go through the motions.It's the ads that make them money not the programmes.

m8internet 28-12-2011 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35351504)
It's the ads that make them money not the programmes

Not sure about that
On Christmas Day there were a few adverts for sales starting on Boxing Day
However Asda aired an advert on Boxing Day for Christmas!
I even noted the expiry date at the end of the advert "Offer ends when stores close on 24 December 2011"
Looks like they paid for an entire date range, a rather unusual mistake

Hugh 28-12-2011 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35351504)
They just go through the motions.It's the ads that make them money not the programmes.

But if no one watches the programmes, no one is watching the ads.....;)