Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Gazza's Gone Loopy (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33628864)

Cerberus 21-02-2008 13:30

Gazza's Gone Loopy

Such a footballing genius, reduced to being detained in a mental health hospital.

Link

Mick Fisher 21-02-2008 18:01

Re: Gazza's Gone Loopy

Sad, looks like the race between brain cells and liver function as to what will give up the ghost first is hotting up.

Perhaps Gazza just entered the Last Chance Saloon. :(

TheDaddy 21-02-2008 18:04

'Gazza Goes Gaga' might be a more appropriate thread title ;)

Delta Whiskey 21-02-2008 19:53

He's been in the wilderness since finishing football, he really needs some true friends around him to offer support.

Chris 22-02-2008 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 34493346)
'Gazza Goes Gaga' might be a more appropriate thread title ;)

"Gazza has had undiagnosed manic depression for at least the last decade and is in serious need of help, support and understanding" might be more appropriate.

I have been doing a lot of research on mental illness recently and while I am far from being a psychiatrist, it is saddening to put down a textbook description of classic manic depressive* symptoms, then pick up this afternoon's Daily Record PM and read a big feature on Gazza that basically describes exactly the same pattern of behaviour - up to and including the alcohol abuse and wife-beating.

He has been sectioned and is in a secure psychiatric ward. This is the best place for him at the moment, as a diagnosis and treatment should be possible. In the long term, though, he is going to face a long road to recovery and he will need a close cohort of true friends around him. By which I mean, people who don't think taking him on a drinking binge to help take his mind off it is a good idea.

We can only hope, anyway.

* Professionals tend to call it Bipolar Disorder these days, I confess before I started reading I didn't realise manic depression and bipolar disorder are the same thing.

superbiatch 22-02-2008 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T (Post 34494108)
* Professionals tend to call it Bipolar Disorder these days, I confess before I started reading I didn't realise manic depression and bipolar disorder are the same thing.

There is good news with regard to treating the condition, so much so he could be leading as much a 'normal' life as the rest of us again in the future.

Chris 22-02-2008 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by superbiatch (Post 34494114)
There is good news with regard to treating the condition, so much so he could be leading as much a 'normal' life as the rest of us again in the future.

Indeed - and I've met a couple of people this week who are doing just that. The thing is, it does require support and understanding from family and friends. I just hope Gazza can get that.

superbiatch 22-02-2008 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris T (Post 34494128)
Indeed - and I've met a couple of people this week who are doing just that. The thing is, it does require support and understanding from family and friends. I just hope Gazza can get that.

Family and friends are often forgotten in the whole 'episode' in my experience - the more they are involved the better (provided they don't exasperate the situation).

danielf 22-02-2008 23:16

Quote:

Bipolar is a better name for the beast. If only because many lay people seem to think that manically depressed means extremely depressed. Bipolar is less ambiguous in that respect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by superbiatch

If it is 'bipolar' he is suffering from then my understanding is that some people on medication (litihum, usually) find the absence of the lows quite good, but they're less impressed with the absence of the highs. Basically, things become rather bland and boring (in their opinion).

Stuart 23-02-2008 15:50

I wonder how many of todays entertainers are bipolar? Just off the top of my head I can think of Stephen Fry , Robbie Williams and Britney Spears (suspected IIRC).

BTW, Stephen Fry's excellent documentaries on the subject are worth watching if you can find them, especially as they explain the pros and cons of Bipolar disorder clearly, the pros being (for him) that is a lot more funny when he is on a high, and suffers really bad depression (to the point where he has considered suicide) when he is on a low.

Hope Gazza is able to manage the illness well.

TheDaddy 24-02-2008 10:40

Quote:

"Gazza has had undiagnosed manic depression for at least the last decade and is in serious need of help, support and understanding" might be more appropriate.

Not quite as catchy though is it :)

Quote:

I have been doing a lot of research on mental illness recently and while I am far from being a psychiatrist, it is saddening to put down a textbook description of classic manic depressive* symptoms, then pick up this afternoon's Daily Record PM and read a big feature on Gazza that basically describes exactly the same pattern of behaviour - up to and including the alcohol abuse and wife-beating.

He has been sectioned and is in a secure psychiatric ward. This is the best place for him at the moment, as a diagnosis and treatment should be possible. In the long term, though, he is going to face a long road to recovery and he will need a close cohort of true friends around him. By which I mean, people who don't think taking him on a drinking binge to help take his mind off it is a good idea.
I don't need to research it, one of my best friends suffers from it, to those that don't know him well he is the life and soul of the party, it's only those that really know him that see the 'other' side of it obviously. You're right though, it goes without saying that booze and non prescription drugs will only compound his symptoms.

Russ 05-05-2008 09:53

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7383640.stm

More trouble for Gazza :(

piggy 05-05-2008 12:23

a great shame and a wasted talent if only gazza had better management he could of been the worlds best

iglu 05-05-2008 13:32

Red headed

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/sm3/m...AAEFA02DD2.jpg

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...008/05/106.jpg

Stuart 06-01-2009 14:35

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I thought last night's channel 4 documentary, "Surviving Gazza" was an excellent insight into the problem he faces, and particularly those his addiction has caused for his family.. Well worth watching if you can.