Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Fines for not allowing to Breast Feed? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=25819)

Russ 17-03-2005 16:15

Fines for not allowing to Breast Feed?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3909153.stm

What a load of rubbish.

Personally I am not offended by the site of this but I'm sure some people are. Whilst eating in a resturant I really wouldn't want to have it done blatantly in front of me, but to threaten financial penalties to business who ask a woman to stop doing so would be PC'ness got nuts. What I'm sure would help the situation would be more facilities allowing mothers to be able to do it in private if they wish.

I'm sure there are many Muslims who would object to this sort of thing. What will resturants fear most, the threat of a £2000 fine or accusations of racial/religious intolerance?

BBKing 17-03-2005 16:18

Re: Fines for Breast Feeding?

Do Muslim children not drink milk, then?

I think it's an excellent idea, there's nothing remotely offensive and everything natural about breastfeeding children. There's everything offensive about being ordered not to feed a child in a public place. Private places are different, of course.

I refuse to accept that women shoud be stigmatised and discriminated against for doing what's best for their child, that's outrageous.

Russ 17-03-2005 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKing

Yes they do - what's your point?

Quote:

I think it's an excellent idea, there's nothing remotely offensive and everything natural about breastfeeding children. There's everything offensive about being ordered not to feed a child in a public place. Private places are different, of course.

Nothing wrong with breast feeding, in fact it's preferrable. But not blatantly and 'in yer face' (so to speak)

Quote:

I refuse to accept that women shoud be stigmatised and discriminated against for doing what's best for their child, that's outrageous.

Now you're getting a little dramatic - no-one is discriminating against women for doing it.

philip.j.fry 17-03-2005 16:26

Re: Fines for not allowing to Breast Feed?

Mealtimes in a restaurant?? whatever next? :D

Pierre 17-03-2005 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ D
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3909153.stm

What a load of rubbish.

Personally I am not offended by the site of this but I'm sure some people are. Whilst eating in a resturant I really wouldn't want to have it done blatantly in front of me, but to threaten financial penalties to business who ask a woman to stop doing so would be PC'ness got nuts. What I'm sure would help the situation would be more facilities allowing mothers to be able to do it in private if they wish.

I'm sure there are many Muslims who would object to this sort of thing. What will resturants fear most, the threat of a £2000 fine or accusations of racial/religious intolerance?

Who cares!, I mean come on, who really cares.

There are far more things in life to worry about, than someone feeding their baby.

That's all I can contribute to this thread.

ScaredWebWarrior 17-03-2005 16:39

Quote:

Personally I am not offended by the site of this but I'm sure some people are. Whilst eating in a resturant I really wouldn't want to have it done blatantly in front of me, but to threaten financial penalties to business who ask a woman to stop doing so would be PC'ness got nuts.

It doesn't bother me - whether it's right next to me, in a restaurant, or wherever. Babies don't know when it is convenient, but they DO know when they're hungry.

Quote:

I'm not sure why you're bringing this into it, because it seems rather irrelevant. I also don't see why it should offend Muslims at all, or otherwise no more than they might be by anything - like women wearing a blouse/skirt.

The legislation might seem a mit much, and it's hardly a question of being PC - otherwise we'd hide mothers and babies away just to avoid offending anyone, but it's long overdue that something so totally unthreatening to anyone should simply be allowed without question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre
There are far more things in life to worry about, than someone feeding their baby.

Try telling the baby! :D

Russ 17-03-2005 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaredWebWarrior
I'm not sure why you're bringing this into it, because it seems rather irrelevant. I also don't see why it should offend Muslims at all, or otherwise no more than they might be by anything - like women wearing a blouse/skirt.

It was just one example of how forcing someone to allow it is likely to cause further problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaredWebWarrior
The legislation might seem a mit much, and it's hardly a question of being PC - otherwise we'd hide mothers and babies away just to avoid offending anyone, but it's long overdue that something so totally unthreatening to anyone should simply be allowed without question.

It's the forcing to allow it happen which makes me uncomfortable.

Flubflow 17-03-2005 16:58

I don't mind.
Just so long as I don't get fined for watching.

punky 17-03-2005 16:59

Quote:

I'd be interested to know how muslims think about it, officially (from the MCB or something). They can either look at it as being immodest, and therefore bad (for a woman)... They are used to having it down under a jilbab where you'd be hard to notice it happening at all. The other way you can look at it, is that it is the epiome of child-rearing, which is a real plus point in Islam, so maybe they'd like to see it. I suppose it depends on the mentality of the person, as much as it would do for a non-muslim.

I am wth you in that I can't see how it can possibly be offensive, especially with the amount of boobs you see around you anyway in newspapers, magazines, etc. (But then again, because they look the same as a male chest, but bigger, I never saw the fuss about why one is fine to look at, and the other isn't anyway).

I am not a fan of PCness though, and we do have to share this world with other people (as much as some wouldn't like to admit it)... And these people might object, so we should find some happy medium that keeps everyone happy. If someone objects, can't the lady use the toilet? OK, not the nicest of venues, but I don't suppose the kid will mind. I wouldn't like to see restaurants banning it as a rule, but geninely if someone is really offended by it (Gawd knows why) then I think you'd have to consider them, as well as everyone else.

Gareth 17-03-2005 17:03

I was hoping for so much more than this in a bill entitled 'the Breastfeeding Scotland Bill'. I had images of the entire country being force breast-fed :D

Aragorn 17-03-2005 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth
I was hoping for so much more than this in a bill entitled 'the Breastfeeding Scotland Bill'. I had images of the entire country being force breast-fed :D

Sounds like a Little Britain sketch to me - Time for bitty? :D

ian@huth 17-03-2005 17:14

There's nothing at all wrong with a woman breast feeding a baby no matter where it is done. Most of the time you wouldn't really see anything anyway, it's all in their minds. There is something wrong with people who complain about it though, they have no need to watch what's going on. I have seen many other things going on in restaurants that are much more objectionable.

Russ 17-03-2005 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian@huth
There's nothing at all wrong with a woman breast feeding a baby no matter where it is done. Most of the time you wouldn't really see anything anyway, it's all in their minds.

But just because you find it acceptable doesn't mean everyone will!

Quote:

I have seen many other things going on in restaurants that are much more objectionable.

Yes and more often than not the resturant can take action. With this new Bill, they could be fined for doing so.

MetaWraith 17-03-2005 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth

<flippant mode = on>
such as a propaganda leaflet type airdrop, consisting of various issues of the sunday sport ?
<flippant mode = off>

ian@huth 17-03-2005 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by punky
If someone objects, can't the lady use the toilet? OK, not the nicest of venues, but I don't suppose the kid will mind.

I suppose that an adult who is coughing, sneezing and blowing his nose throughout his meal would object if he was told to go and finish his meal in the toilet. (Picture of the advert with the guy with the big nose sneezing and blasting everything in front of him away).

Stuart 17-03-2005 17:25

Quote:

Quote:

Nothing wrong with breast feeding, in fact it's preferrable. But not blatantly and 'in yer face' (so to speak)

I am curious. Do you eat in public? If so, why is that any different to a baby eating in public? I'll grant you that we, as a country, consider the breast as a sexual object, but the breast is basically there to be a feeding implement for the baby. IMO, used in that capacity, it's no different to a bottle (or a plate of food for adults) and certainly not offensive.

Flubflow 17-03-2005 17:29

Perhaps the "sensible" way would be to do what a lot breastfeeding mothers do. That is to use a pump to express milk into a bottle for the times when they may need to quickly feed the baby in public or when the vicar is visiting. It is more convenient and less messy than lifting up your top, undoing your maternity bra, scooping out your cheb and trying to stuff it in the baby's face whilst riding on a bus going over speedbumps.

Russ 17-03-2005 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by scastle
I am curious. Do you eat in public? If so, why is that any different to a baby eating in public? I'll grant you that we, as a country, consider the breast as a sexual object, but the breast is basically there to be a feeding implement for the baby. IMO, used in that capacity, it's no different to a bottle (or a plate of food for adults) and certainly not offensive.

It's not the fact the child is feeding, it's more to do with the woman's breast being exposed inappropriately.

Now before you all go nuts at that, let me elaborate.

If done discreetly, I have no objections. I'm not offended by a woman's breast (quite the opposite actually :naughty: ) but...."there's a time and a place" is my view.

Remember tolerance in a two-way street.....

Flubflow 17-03-2005 17:34

Quote:

I suppose that an adult who is coughing, sneezing and blowing his nose throughout his meal would object if he was told to go and finish his meal in the toilet. (Picture of the advert with the guy with the big nose sneezing and blasting everything in front of him away).

Oh no! The idea of someone rasping a geat sticky nosefart into a hankie at mealtime (and then actually looking into the hankie at what they've acheived) makes me wanna.... :sick:

ScaredWebWarrior 17-03-2005 18:00

Quote:

It's the forcing to allow it happen which makes me uncomfortable.

They are only enforcing that it should be allowed. They're not actually forcing women to breastfeed in public.

(Or forcing anyone to make an effort to observe the spectacle, for that matter.)

Quote:

It's not the fact the child is feeding, it's more to do with the woman's breast being exposed inappropriately.

If done discreetly, I have no objections. I'm not offended by a woman's breast (quite the opposite actually :naughty: ) but...."there's a time and a place" is my view.

As I said before, when baby wants food it ain't gonna wait for a better place. For them right here, right now is where it's at.

Now I happen to have been witness to rather a lot of breastfeeding over the years, and it's quite discreet, really - particularly with feeding bras and suitable choice of clothing.
Not really 'exposing' the breast.

Well, not quite as much as by opening some newspapers...

It's odd really that breastfeeding usually is a more contentious issue that bare boobs on telly - yet the latter is far more prevalent.

gary_580 17-03-2005 18:04

hmmmmm Bitty ;)

Earl of Bronze 17-03-2005 18:08

Quote:

It's not the fact the child is feeding, it's more to do with the woman's breast being exposed inappropriately
How can breast feeding a child *at any time* be inappropriate, when it is being used for one of the two reasons human females have larger breasts than men?

Quote:

but...."there's a time and a place" is my view.
Which reminds me of Harry Enfields skits of Mr Chumley-Warner, ''Woman, know your place''.

gary_580 17-03-2005 18:09

Quote:

What a prude!! j/k

Define inappropriately??? IMHO we we're put on this earth without clothing, clothing is something we use to keep warm and to project an image. If a mother wants to get a jug of milk out whereever she is the good on her, its not inappropriate because if we went back to basics they wouldnt be covered in the first place.

Earl of Bronze 17-03-2005 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary_580
What a prude!! j/k

Define inappropriately??? IMHO we we're put on this earth without clothing, clothing is something we use to keep warm and to project an image. If a mother wants to get a jug of milk out whereever she is the good on her, its not inappropriate because if we went back to basics they wouldnt be covered in the first place.

Ahhhhhh, but you are forgetting about all that sin that goes into child-birth.

Stuart 17-03-2005 18:14

Quote:

The way I see it is that the woman's breast (used in this way) is nothing other than a dispenser for food for the baby. As such, I find it as inapproriate or offensive as a plate.

Of course, breasts do have other uses as well, and it would be entirely inappropriate for those uses to be on display :naughty:.

Flubflow 17-03-2005 18:28

Men have nipples too.

Earl of Bronze 17-03-2005 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flubflow
Men have nipples too.

And so do most, if not all male mammels. The difference is female mammels have a Mammery Gland to produce milk, with which to suckle their young. In males this gland doesnt work, or no longer exists. (Personally I dont know wether it there or not in male mammels).

punky 17-03-2005 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl of Bronze
And so do most, if not all male mammels. The difference is female mammels have a Mammery Gland to produce milk, with which to suckle their young. In males this gland doesnt work, or no longer exists. (Personally I dont know wether it there or not in male mammels).

I am pretty sure men can lactate (albeit it is rare, as most men lose their mamary glands)... I think it is an overhang as all foetuses are female for the first X weeks of their life.

Flubflow 17-03-2005 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl of Bronze

Ah haaaaaaaaaaa! Gotcha.
They DO work.
http://www.chclibrary.org/micromed/00048840.html

er, not mine though I must stress. ;)

Paul 17-03-2005 18:50

So let me get this straight - a business will be fined for not allowing a woman to show her breasts in public. :erm:

punky 17-03-2005 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M
So let me get this straight - a business will be fined for not allowing a woman to show her breasts in public. :erm:

Well, technically, that is still a public order offence... If someone did that, and someone else made an official complaint she could be arrested regardless wether she was feeding or not.

This is all about women feeding their children under their blouse, I should imagine. Somehow, people know whats going on and that offends them... the thought rather than the imagery of it. I don't think most women would want to bare their brests in public anyway. Especially as they don't tend to feel that sexy in that part of their lives and that their areolas are the size of beer coasters, which make women feel even less attractive.

All this talk about men lactating though reminds me of Family Guy when Peter becomes a feminist and tries to brest-feed Stewy.... Soooo funny :rofl:

kronas 17-03-2005 18:55

Quote:

no.........for not allowing breastfeeding.....it does NOT mean that the breast itself is naked, i have seen instances where discretness has been used.

i see absolutely no problem with breastfeeding in public, i wonder what it was like back in the old days ?

Flubflow 17-03-2005 19:11

Quote:

Well, that is A way of looking at it.

They want to fine businesses for not allowing breast feeding which may or may not involve, as you say, "showing" in public.

Whether the lady has a strong desire to display overtly to as many people as she can, and do a pole dance while she's at it, is an entirely different matter.

Quote:

This is all about women feeding their children under their blouse, I should imagine. Somehow, people know whats going on and that offends them... the thought rather than the imagery of it. I don't think most women would want to bare their brests in public anyway. Especially as they don't tend to feel that sexy in that part of their lives and that their areolas are the size of beer coasters, which make women feel even less attractive.

Friend of mine breastfed 3 babies. She didn't have the wagon wheels but mind you, she permanently had nips like fighter pilots thumbs. She didn't care though. The instinctual urge to shut the hungry squawking baby up overrides any embarrassment potential.

Janusian 17-03-2005 20:06

Quote:

If someone objects, can't the lady use the toilet?

Would eat your dinner in a toilet? Of course not, because Toilets have germs in them. It would not be advisable to eat anything in the toilet!

My take on it is that as long as people are allowed to sit next to me and poison my lungs, and make my clothes smell, my food lose it's taste and my eyes water by smoking in a restaurant legally, breast feeding is the least offensive thing that goes on, as it doesn't affect anyone around you. I think babies should have a legal right to feed where they like. I do.

Ramrod 17-03-2005 20:28

I think that women should be allowed to breastfeed their babies wherever they want to. I can't see why a woman breastfeeding is offensive or disgusting in any way. If the threat of a fine is what it takes to allow women to do this unhindered then I am all for it :tu: :)

punky 17-03-2005 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janusian
Would eat your dinner in a toilet? Of course not, because Toilets have germs in them. It would not be advisable to eat anything in the toilet!

My take on it is that as long as people are allowed to sit next to me and poison my lungs, and make my clothes smell, my food lose it's taste and my eyes water by smoking in a restaurant legally, breast feeding is the least offensive thing that goes on, as it doesn't affect anyone around you. I think babies should have a legal right to feed where they like. I do.

Well, yes it isn't the most sanitary of places, but they would take the kid in there to change their nappy... and breastfeeding in a stall, means at least the kid won't have to touch anything (apart from the mother.)

I don't think mothers should be forced to go to the loo to do it, but whether I, or anyone else likes it, there will people that will be offended by it. If you force places to allow public breastfeeding, when it upsets the clients, all you are doing is making one group happy (mothers) at the expense of another. Bit of the wrong ethos to tackle the problem.

Maggy 17-03-2005 20:33

Hmmmm!

I was having this sort of discussion 20 years ago..Seems on the surface that nothing has changed. :erm:

However back then it was women defending a mothers right to breast feed her child in public...Now it is men....Interesting!

Speaking as a former breastfeeder I fed my children as when I wanted (or rather they wanted)even when out.It's amazing what you can hide under a poncho or shawl....I NEVER,EVER fed them in the toilet.Any establishment that asked me to stop or leave LOST my custom PERMANTLY! :tu:

Graham 17-03-2005 21:10

Quote:

If someone objects, can't the lady use the toilet?

Great idea! In fact if anyone's kids are being a nuisance in a restaurant etc, why not tell their parents to make them eat their food in the toilet!

Mmm! Lovely and hygenic...!!

punky 17-03-2005 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham
Great idea! In fact if anyone's kids are being a nuisance in a restaurant etc, why not tell their parents to make them eat their food in the toilet!

Mmm! Lovely and hygenic...!!

Now you wouldn't be insinuating that I personally am trying to force all breast-feeding women into bathrooms because somehow I am greatly disgusted by it... That would be taking my quote out of context wouldn't it...

I CLEARLY said in my first post, that I am not offended by it, nor can I understand why anyone would be, but they just are. In my perfect world, it wouldn't be an issue, but we live in a world with plenty of other people and they all have differing views and beliefs. Unlike you, I am trying to impress on people a bit of consideration for someone else. Something that is practically non-existant nowadays. We all have to share this world, and all have to get along. It is unfair to force all breast-feeding women into the toilets, and it is unfair to force people who are genuinely offended by it (i.e. NOT ME) to have to suffer it, or leave. Like with smoking, and everything else, it is give and take. People from both sides, should consider each other, and find some happy medium in the middle. If not a toilet, then a lobby, car park, or maybe just a few feet in some other direction. Yes it is an inconvience, but mothers aren't the only people in the world.

Just because you don't agree with what someone finds offensive, that doesn't mean you should enfore what you consider to be offensive, or unoffensive anyway.

I am not picking on you specifically (except for the unity bit), as it seems by the quotes, other people have misconstrued what I was truely trying to say. If anyone else thinks I am trying to make it seem like I personally want to force all breast-feeding women into toilets, then at least now, everyone should see that is not the case and I couldn't have made my true point any clearer. I don't want to force anyone to do anything, except consider everyone else. And that goes for everyone, not just breast-feeding mothers.

ian@huth 17-03-2005 23:44

Maybe restaurants should be forced to have a set of screens that they can put around any narrow minded people that want to complain about the rights of a family to all eat together in a civilized environment.

punky 17-03-2005 23:49

Quote:

Maybe restaurants should be forced to have a set of screens that they can put around any narrow minded people that want to complain about the rights of a family to all eat together in a civilized environment.

Narrow minded they might be, but this: "Someone doesn't like it? F**k 'em" attitude, is not the way to deal with it IMO.

Earl of Bronze 18-03-2005 00:05

Quote:

Narrow minded they might be, but this: "Someone doesn't like it? F**k 'em" attitude, is not the way to deal with it IMO.

I dont think anyone feels that we should foist their views and feeling on others without regard. But at the same time, if 70% plus of people see nothing immoral, or inapproprate, then how far are the rest of to *put ourselves out* for a minority. Society cannot afford to be run on the fear of pressure from a minority of people upset by something so iniquitous as breast feeding.At the same time, we also need to not alienate a minority. I suppose from my own point of view I just cant understand how *anyone* can find this offensive. If it make you uncomfortable, turn away and dont look, its really not that hard.

punky 18-03-2005 00:19

I see this whole "consideration for someone else" seems to be a bit less existant that I originally thought.

I can't breast-feed kids, but an example from my life anyway. I am 25 stone+. That is considerably into the obese category, and as you can guess, my stomach isn't very easy on the eyes. Some consider me topless to be be grossly offensive. I don't agree with it, but I won't hide in bunkers for life, but I will wear a t-shirt in swimming pools anyway. Maybe I should just take the attitude, "why should I have to consider someone else? F**k 'em" attitude. Make them feel sick looking at me, why should I care?

I am against the nanny state setting down rules regardless forcing people to do, or not do anything. I really feel for breast-feeding mothers in this, I really do, but i'd rather people just try and find some compromise somewhere that makes everyone happy rather than upsetting someone people to protect another. Is that honestly, such a bad opinion to have? I do know this seems a bit idealistic, but I can still dream can't I?

Maggy 18-03-2005 00:32

Quote:

I see this whole "consideration for someone else" seems to be a bit less existant that I originally thought.

I can't breast-feed kids, but an example from my life anyway. I am 25 stone+. That is considerably into the obese category, and as you can guess, my stomach isn't very easy on the eyes. Some consider me topless to be be grossly offensive. I don't agree with it, but I won't hide in bunkers for life, but I will wear a t-shirt in swimming pools anyway. Maybe I should just take the attitude, "why should I have to consider someone else? F**k 'em" attitude. Make them feel sick looking at me, why should I care?

I am against the nanny state setting down rules regardless forcing people to do, or not do anything. I really feel for breast-feeding mothers in this, I really do, but i'd rather people just try and find some compromise somewhere that makes everyone happy rather than upsetting someone people to protect another. Is that honestly, such a bad opinion to have? I do know this seems a bit idealistic, but I can still dream can't I?

So what would you consider a compromise?

Also I say unto you why the hell should you have to cover up in the swimming pool if you don't want to.Last time I checked it wasn't illegal to be overweight so yes f*ck them in that case.... :mad:

Some people in this world need to grow up..... :( .

I still can't see why men can expose their nipples when they feel like it but I can't..merely because I'm a female.

In some parts of the world they don't give a woman's bare tit a second glance because to them it's not an erogenous part of the body. :rolleyes:

ian@huth 18-03-2005 00:36

There are two sides to this. On one side there is someone who wants to breast feed their baby and sees nothing wrong with doing so and who would be upset if forced to hide away in some toilet to do it.

On the other side is someone who finds breast feeding offensive and is upset if forced to watch it.

So, whatever is done, someone is going to be upset.

Now in my eyes the nursing mother has much more reason to be upset. She may have started her meal when the baby wanted feeding. If she were to go to the toilet to feed it her food would probably be cold when she returned or if she was on her own it was cleared away by some waiter who thought it was finished with. If she had remained at the table she could have been feeding the baby and herself at the same time.

The person who objected could have easily moved their position slightly or just taken the decision to concentrate on eating rather than trying to sneak a glance at what was going on.

Maggy 18-03-2005 00:46

Quote:

There are two sides to this. On one side there is someone who wants to breast feed their baby and sees nothing wrong with doing so and who would be upset if forced to hide away in some toilet to do it.

On the other side is someone who finds breast feeding offensive and is upset if forced to watch it.

So, whatever is done, someone is going to be upset.

Now in my eyes the nursing mother has much more reason to be upset. She may have started her meal when the baby wanted feeding. If she were to go to the toilet to feed it her food would probably be cold when she returned or if she was on her own it was cleared away by some waiter who thought it was finished with. If she had remained at the table she could have been feeding the baby and herself at the same time.

The person who objected could have easily moved their position slightly or just taken the decision to concentrate on eating rather than trying to sneak a glance at what was going on.

Or even better,behave like the adult they are supposed to be... :rolleyes:

punky 18-03-2005 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognitas
So what would you consider a compromise?

I wouldn't know, I am not offended by it. I have said before, makes no difference to me personally wether it happens or not, but it seems to some people it is a big difference. I would like to see how many people in a restaurant actually would complain.

Quote:

Also I say unto you why the hell should you have to cover up in the swimming pool if you don't want to.Last time I checked it wasn't illegal to be overweight so yes f*ck them in that case.... :mad:

Some people in this world need to grow up..... :( .
They need to, but you can't force them to. Maybe I should adopt that attitude, out of a principal, but its not me really. Not my style.

Quote:

I still can't see why men can expose their nipples when they feel like it but I can't..merely because I'm a female.

In some parts of the world they don't give a woman's bare tit a second glance because to them it's not an erogenous part of the body. :rolleyes:
I touched on that point earlier, I really can't think of it either. I went blue in the face arguing over this point with outraged conservatives over Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction". I can't understand the fuss, how it can be a taboo for only one gender...

Edit: They may be, as some have said, immature, narrow minded, etc, but they are still human, pay taxes, contribute to society. You and I may not understand why they are offended (and to them it probably isn't trivial) but I personally don't think we should spite them just because we think they are narrow minded, immature, etc. I seem to be alone on that point.

Earl of Bronze 18-03-2005 02:29

You dint stand alone punky, believe me.

I dont understand what could case upset or embarrisment by a mother breast feeding her child. But if the person who is uncomfrotable with this feels the need to complain, rather than not look, then whats the point of our supposed tollerant, inclusive society.

I have seen women breast feeding, and I find it neither lood nor indecient.

Bottom line, IMHO, people need to get a little perspective on life. Moan about the real social issues, and be happy that a woman is sharing of her body with the child she loves.