Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Mobile Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Smart to dumb (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709921)

Itshim 25-03-2021 18:45

Smart to dumb
 
Looking at getting the cheapest smart phone offered by virgin . It works out cheaper than l spend on landline per month. However the last one l had cost a fortune because l opened the internet . Long story .! I don't want or need that connection . Can l remove/ block/delete App s etc .so can't do that again ?:confused:

Hom3r 25-03-2021 19:12

Re: Smart to dumb
 
You might look at disabling the phone's data connection.

But this will mean apps and emails can only be done if you connect the phone to WiFi.

The other option is you can set the phone to give you a warning when you hit a certain amount of data.

I have 1GB data and set my warning to 950MB.

daveeb 25-03-2021 20:28

Re: Smart to dumb
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36075320)
Looking at getting the cheapest smart phone offered by virgin . It works out cheaper than l spend on landline per month. However the last one l had cost a fortune because l opened the internet . Long story .! I don't want or need that connection . Can l remove/ block/delete App s etc .so can't do that again ?:confused:

If you get a relatively modest monthly data allowance of say 2 GB that would be more than ample for any modest internet or other app use whilst out and about and you wouldn't have to worry about running over your quota. I'm guessing in the past you've used the internet with a phone with an old style PAYG topup sim, I naively did about 8 or 9 years ago and ran out of (30) credit in a matter of minutes.

Paul 25-03-2021 23:43

Re: Smart to dumb
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36075322)
You might look at disabling the phone's data connection.

But this will mean apps and emails can only be done if you connect the phone to WiFi.

My wife runs her phone like that, and has done for years (since her iphone 4 days). Very very rarely, she may want to use the internet when we are out somewhere, so she turns data on, does whats needed, and then turns it off again. We away (e.g. holidays) always choose hotels etc with wifi, so still the same.

I dont have a smart phone, so not an issue for me.

Itshim 26-03-2021 15:35

Re: Smart to dumb
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36075335)
If you get a relatively modest monthly data allowance of say 2 GB that would be more than ample for any modest internet or other app use whilst out and about and you wouldn't have to worry about running over your quota. I'm guessing in the past you've used the internet with a phone with an old style PAYG topup sim, I naively did about 8 or 9 years ago and ran out of (30) credit in a matter of minutes.

Yep you got it .being retired and not keen on moving to far from home . I have no need of outside contection. Don't even really have a need to take phone out of house! Just the monthly charge is lower that my phone charges on the landline! The cost is greater if l changed my landline choice. Thanks for your help,

Taf 26-03-2021 16:54

Re: Smart to dumb
 
My Nokia (not smart) phone still has most of the 10 credit it had on it when it was gifted to me a couple of years ago. It's hardly ever switched on, and is just there in case of emergencies.

Our phone bill for the landline calls came last week. 1.82 for the past 6 months (all our calls, apart for the free weekend ones that come with the VM landline, go via https://www.1899.com/).

daveeb 26-03-2021 20:23

Re: Smart to dumb
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36075405)
Yep you got it .being retired and not keen on moving to far from home . I have no need of outside contection. Don't even really have a need to take phone out of house! Just the monthly charge is lower that my phone charges on the landline! The cost is greater if l changed my landline choice. Thanks for your help,

OK in which case I'd get the cheapest possible data bundle (probably 500 MB) and as Hom3R says just disable data. :)

Hom3r 29-03-2021 12:03

Re: Smart to dumb
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36075439)
OK in which case I'd get the cheapest possible data bundle (probably 500 MB) and as Hom3R says just disable data. :)


Also check if the phone has the same option as mine.


Mine will turn on the Wi-Fi in "safe" areas that you use.


So mine will automatically come on in my home or at my sisters

Jaymoss 29-03-2021 12:06

Re: Smart to dumb
 
Do you need a smart phone? Do you intend to use wifi? there are simple phones out there for a tenner that just make calls and send text

Itshim 30-03-2021 12:02

Re: Smalooking at smart because on odd occsrt to dumb
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36075671)
Do you need a smart phone? Do you intend to use wifi? there are simple phones out there for a tenner that just make calls and send text

Not really but on the odd occasion when a app is needed then yes . Also seems that smart on pay monthly work out less than calls on land lines are costing me daft but there it is;)

tweetiepooh 31-03-2021 10:24

Re: Smart to dumb
 
Some devices you can set up to warn you when an app wants to use phone data and either grant it once, grant it fully, deny it. (Maybe Apple, probably some way to add/use function on other O/Ss)

Hugh 31-03-2021 10:52

Re: Smart to dumb
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36075824)
Some devices you can set up to warn you when an app wants to use phone data and either grant it once, grant it fully, deny it. (Maybe Apple, probably some way to add/use function on other O/Ss)

A lot you can set up to only use wifi.

Jaymoss 31-03-2021 11:15

Re: Smart to Dumb
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36075769)
Not really but on the odd occasion when a app is needed then yes . Also seems that smart on pay monthly work out less than calls on land lines are costing me daft but there it is;)

I will never go on a contract again.

You could buy a cheap Android Phone. Pretty much all of them have a data toggle but not being on a contract means you can set up so you never get charged anything above your monthly package

I bought a Poco X3 but this will be more than you need keep an eye out on HUKD for the Redmi Note 9 often on the mi.uk site they sell these really cheap. There are also cheaper devices but if you want a good experience make sure it has at least 2GB ram

I am also on GiffGaff I get unlimited calls and minutes with 10GB data for 10 the 6 a month package would get you unlimited calls and text and no chance of outside of tariff charges. I also use WeQ4U which finds most 0845 and the like geo alternatives

Itshim 31-03-2021 17:16

Re: Smart to Dumb
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36075828)
I will never go on a contract again.

You could buy a cheap Android Phone. Pretty much all of them have a data toggle but not being on a contract means you can set up so you never get charged anything above your monthly package

I bought a Poco X3 but this will be more than you need keep an eye out on HUKD for the Redmi Note 9 often on the mi.uk site they sell these really cheap. There are also cheaper devices but if you want a good experience make sure it has at least 2GB ram

I am also on GiffGaff I get unlimited calls and minutes with 10GB data for 10 the 6 a month package would get you unlimited calls and text and no chance of outside of tariff charges. I also use WeQ4U which finds most 0845 and the like geo alternatives

Thank wil


l look would at gifgaf except that on the odd occasion l would need a smart phone ie if l broke down RAC really need to be contacted by an app. I only have a dumb phone. Hence the need for a cheap smartphone it's would seem to be rhe way to go.

qwakuk 31-03-2021 17:34

Re: Smart to dumb
 
Also check out Plusnet, pay 6 pm for unlimited calls and texts and 3gb data on rolling 30 day contract. Offer today is 8 pm with 12gb data.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:55.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.