Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Staff to gain right to request flexible working from first day (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710390)

Maggy 21-09-2021 17:07

Staff to gain right to request flexible working from first day

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58636439

Quote:

The government is proposing to give all employees the right to request flexible working when they start new jobs, the BBC understands.

A consultation is to be launched on the proposals this week.

The plan would allow all UK employees to request a flexible working arrangement from their first day at a new employer.

At the moment, workers have to wait until they have been in their role for six months.

The proposals would also see bosses have to respond to requests for flexible working more quickly than the current maximum of three months. It would also force firms to explain why any requests were refused.
An interesting proposal.Of course it won't be possible for every industry but I can see it being popular for some particularly those who reside some distance from their place of employment.

OLD BOY 21-09-2021 19:51

Re: Staff to gain right to request flexible working from first day

That’s the thing - not all jobs are conducive to flexible working.

Hugh 21-09-2021 20:16

Which is why this was in the article.

Quote:

The proposals would also see bosses have to respond to requests for flexible working more quickly than the current maximum of three months. It would also force firms to explain why any requests were refused...

... employers can still turn down any or all requests for flexible working
They have the right to request it, not to get it (without good reason).

Paul 21-09-2021 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36093951)

Thats the problem.
Our company has basically said their policy is no more than two days WFH. :td:

Complete and utter muppets since we have been WFH for 18 months now, without any issues.

Itshim 21-09-2021 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36093932)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58636439

An interesting proposal.Of course it won't be possible for every industry but I can see it being popular for some particularly those who reside some distance from their place of employment.

Will need careful vetting of interviewees to weed out pains in the neck :D

Mr K 22-09-2021 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36093956)
Will need careful vetting of interviewees to weed out pains in the neck :D

What if the pain in the neck gets the job done best?

All depends on the needs of the job, but the days of bums on seats, and just being visible are gone. All on what you deliver. People deliver better when they are happy with their work/life balance and haven't had an unecessary, costly, time consuming commute. Most employers have now woken up to this, and the money they can save on office space. The people that are missing the office in my area are those that chatted about football/reality tv all day and delivered diddly squat....

Hom3r 24-09-2021 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36093952)
Thats the problem.
Our company has basically said their policy is no more than two days WFH. :td:

Complete and utter muppets since we have been WFH for 18 months now, without any issues.

My sister works in a solicitors, at the beginning of lockdown they bought everyone a laptop, and a VOIP phone, and she was given a printer, yes the IT system did suffer from some issues, but know it works as if they are in the office.

She works from home and can only go into the office on Tuesdays & Fridays, she lives near a local shop and can do her post as usual.

She does miss the water cooler moments and support the colleges give each other.

Furthermore, she loves working from home as she can start the washing machine and dish washer at will and put stuff away in the quite times.

The company had a second office which they've closed as all staff work from home.

mrmistoffelees 24-09-2021 18:00

A couple of considerations

Not everyone wants to WFH some enjoy going to the office.

WFH requires significant self discipline be that to perform duties when there are distractions and also to be able to create a line between being at work and being at home.

I say this as as someone who was permanent wfh 12
Months before the pandemic started.

My company has been fully remote/wfh capable for years so this was never a technical issue.

TheDaddy 24-09-2021 19:52

The problem with wfh is that you will miss out on opportunities for promotion, might be okay for settled older people happy with their post but it will stiffle younger newer members of staff keen to impress and climb the greasy pole

mrmistoffelees 24-09-2021 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36094359)
The problem with wfh is that you will miss out on opportunities for promotion, might be okay for settled older people happy with their post but it will stiffle younger newer members of staff keen to impress and climb the greasy pole

I’d suggest that’s a more company specific issue. We’ve just had a round of promotions at my place over one hundred people promoted (myself included)

As with most things it’s about gathering the right data and executing on it

TheDaddy 24-09-2021 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36094360)
I’d suggest that’s a more company specific issue. We’ve just had a round of promotions at my place over one hundred people promoted (myself included)

As with most things it’s about gathering the right data and executing on it

Exactly, a round of promotions but the opportunity to spontaneously impress the boss and earn it there and then will be largely gone solely due to proximity, it's not the end of the world though I guess and might even help retention figures

mrmistoffelees 24-09-2021 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36094361)
Exactly, a round of promotions but the opportunity to spontaneously impress the boss and earn it there and then will be largely gone solely due to proximity, it's not the end of the world though I guess and might even help retention figures

I can only speak to what I see however whilst in our company managers put forward their staff for promotion ( my manager is in MSP, US & I have staff in the US, EMEA & APAC) ultimately all final decisions are made by the leadership team located in SF

OLD BOY 24-09-2021 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36093951)
Which is why this was in the article.

More unnecessary bureaucracy. Companies and public services are trying to run their businesses, for God’s sake!

mrmistoffelees 24-09-2021 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36094373)
More unnecessary bureaucracy. Companies and public services are trying to run their businesses, for God’s sake!

There’s a shift in peoples attitudes towards work, and the requirements for better conditions for employees. Most companies that can offer flexible work patterns and don’t will end up losing to those that do. It’s already happening in tech & fintech businesses, perks such as catered lunches, stocked fridges etc are rapidly losing their appeal to flexible working/wfh

Paul 25-09-2021 01:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36094361)
but the opportunity to spontaneously impress the boss and earn it there and then will be largely gone solely due to proximity

Thats been a myth in every company I have worked for.
The 'boss', i.e. my Managers have never had the power to do that.
Promotions can be proposed by them, but have to be approved by Directors & HR, its a slow process.
I would think thats probably the case in most companies these days.
(except maybe very small ones, who are less likely to have many WFH anyway).