Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Vintage TV recordings remaining accessible beyond the usual 3 months. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710187)

RichardCoulter 01-07-2021 17:27

Vintage TV recordings remaining accessible beyond the usual 3 months.

I always thought that recordings from closed channels usually remained for a max of three months on VM

Someone has told me that their recordings from Vintage TV were accessible on their V6 box for at least 9 months after it closed, why was this channel treated differently? Anybody know?

ScottishSteve 01-07-2021 18:00

Re: Vintage TV recordings remaining accessible beyond the usual 3 months.

Probably down to internal housekeeping and it wasn’t removed from the system

Or the channel was swapped with another service

Like total country became Now70 I had recordings for over a year after it closed

epsilon 01-07-2021 18:39

I don't think it would have been rolled up into another service, that usually happens if it stays with the same broadcaster. Basically treated as a rebrand.

I wouldn't be surprised if Virgin forgot to remove it after 3 months. Another theory is that, as the channel operator went bust, Virgin may have retained the channel on the system for the full contract period in an attempt to recover a proportion of the full fee from the administrator.

RichardCoulter 01-07-2021 19:08

Good thinking. It's a bit like when channels stop broadcasting, the playout contractor sometimes continues emitting a test card or playing out their programmes after it's been removed from the EPG for the same reason.

spiderplant 01-07-2021 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36085029)
I always thought that recordings from closed channels usually remained for a max of three months on VM

It's a minimum of three months (except on rare occasions where it can't be for technical reasons).

RichardCoulter 01-07-2021 23:58

Ahhh, OK, thanks SP.

Rillington 24-09-2021 19:38

When BBC Four's analogue feed was removed, the recordings were available for a year.

Media Boy UK 26-10-2021 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36094357)
When BBC Four's analogue feed was removed, the recordings were available for a year.

When Virgin was axing BBC's SD Channels back in 2018 they did say down at the bottom of the information slate that "any recordings would be available for a year".

Mad Max 28-10-2021 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36098851)
When Virgin was axing BBC's SD Channels back in 2018 they did say down at the bottom of the information slate that "any recordings would be available for a year".

Who the hell waits a year to watch something that they have recorded.

Hom3r 29-10-2021 09:47

I recorded the 3 Murdoch Mysteries (Alibi) in Christmas 2019 to watch with my mum.

But in March 2020 she was rushed to hospital and spent 6 months there and a nursing home, then died in September 2020.

I only had the heart to watch them in July this year.

tweetiepooh 29-10-2021 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36099122)

We have recordings more than a year old. In one case on an old box we had some programmes we enjoyed and liked to share so kept them. Lost them when box failed and they have never been reshown.

OLD BOY 30-10-2021 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36099122)

Well, I have some recordings that are a couple of years+ old. Trouble is, we keep getting a lot of new stuff to watch, mainly on the streamers, so we just haven’t got around to watching them!