Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   350M : Latency / Packet Loss to Cloudflare (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709639)

Paul 29-12-2020 16:56

Re: Latency / Packet Loss to Cloudflare

I have a server based in Germany that was having issues with cloudflare dns yesterday evening (using 1.0.0.1, at 8pm & 9pm)

Synthetic 29-12-2020 20:28

And looks like issue is back this evening

fizzyade 29-12-2020 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthetic (Post 36064166)
And looks like issue is back this evening

Yep, browsing is painful.

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2020/12/12.png

Synthetic 29-12-2020 21:08

Wonder what the best way to get someone at virgin to look at this? I can't remember how it got sorted last time, I believe there was a thread in the VM forums but I can't find it now..

fizzyade 29-12-2020 21:27

I posted my findings on here, there's a member of this forum who works for virgin and confirmed my results and raised a ticket.

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

I'm also starting to get a little peeved at the frequency of the issues I'm having on a business service, I'm in south London but sadly the fastest I can get on DSL is the 70Mb service and then it suggests I'll only get 35, so I'm stuck with Virgin.

I know I keep saying it, but my service was 100% spot on and ran perfect prior to the cable being ripped out by workers with a digger in new maldon a year or so ago, and after it was restored the service has been nowhere near as stable or fast as it was previously.

And Pingnoo was born out of the problems I was having with my service!

Synthetic 29-12-2020 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzyade (Post 36064182)
I posted my findings on here, there's a member of this forum who works for virgin and confirmed my results and raised a ticket.[COLOR="Silver"]

Ah excellent, happy to provide any information anyone needs to get this sorted once and for all!

Seems like saturated links on that xx.2 router as it's been fine (for me) all day until a couple of hours ago.

fizzyade 29-12-2020 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthetic (Post 36064186)
Ah excellent, happy to provide any information anyone needs to get this sorted once and for all!

Seems like saturated links on that xx.2 router as it's been fine (for me) all day until a couple of hours ago.

Yep, it was fine most of the day, then like you said it all went pear shaped a few hours ago.

fizzyade 30-12-2020 01:51

It's 00:50 and since about 10 minutes the packet loss seems to have gone away again (this is the behaviour I saw last night)

ileikcaek 30-12-2020 10:59

I've seen similar issues to 1.1.1.1 and cloudflare in general recently with pingnoo graphs that basically match the above, but I didn't think to check this forum. Good to know it's not just me. It does seem like VM is running their peering really hot.

fizzyade 30-12-2020 18:42

Surfing is once again an awful experience right now.

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

I give up, it's impossible to use this connection.

Paul 30-12-2020 19:03

Well you could just change to google dns .....

fizzyade 30-12-2020 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36064329)
Well you could just change to google dns .....

I have. The issue is not just with cloudflare DNS, it's a potential general issue browsing, changing DNS won't help if a website is using cloudflare as a CDN.

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2020/12/13.png

spiderplant 30-12-2020 23:18

I've reported this. Ticket ref F008701533

Paul 30-12-2020 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzyade (Post 36064333)
I have. The issue is not just with cloudflare DNS, it's a potential general issue browsing

Ok, but you did not really make that very clear, you posts mostly concentrated on DNS issues ;)

fizzyade 30-12-2020 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36064358)
Ok, but you did not really make that very clear, you posts mostly concentrated on DNS issues ;)

Yeah and that's fair, I did switch out to google DNS yesterday after this started happening, but negated to remove another entry which meant stuff was round-robbining and still causing me issues, hands up, that's my fault.

But even after solving that, I still experienced a lot of pain because a lot of the stuff I access is behind Cloudflare as a CDN, turning off the CDN on all of those domains would be a painful job! :p

In the bigger picture though, the issues with the business service (as far as how I experience them) have god considerably worse, whether this is down to COVID and there being higher usage, I don't know, but it's frustrating.

I think this is one area where the residential service is better served than the business service, there's a user forum, that means you can post and get responses from users and staff, meanwhile here on the business service you basically have to phone to get through to support who will go through the usual script before sending an engineer when you plainly know that the issue is not at your end but somewhere in the VM network.

Of course, there's "online chat" but that's almost never available, a number of times I've got onto it and say there for 15 minutes with no response before eventually closing it.

I'd kill for an official support forum for business users, I'm not even sure why this isn't a thing, you'd think that they'd want to have something like that to reduce call volume.

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36064357)
I've reported this. Ticket ref F008701533

Thank you. I honestly don't know how we'd do without you being around to help out when issues like this occur.

Imagine trying to explain this problem to the front line support who will suggest turning the router off and on again!