Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Anyone recomend a mp3 player which is bluetooth and has a radio on please (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706902)

caroline 04-10-2018 22:05

Anyone recomend a mp3 player which is bluetooth and has a radio on please

I did buy one - http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8165961

but if I want to listen to the radio I need to get another pair of earphones .

it said this in the manual - Notice: This device need to use a wired earphone, as its cable will be used as an antenna, for using the radio function. Enclosed Bluetooth earphone is not suitable for radio function. .

anyone recommend a mp3 player with Bluetooth and a radio that I don't need to buy a second set of headphones please ..

Uncle Peter 06-10-2018 15:07

Re: anyone recomend a mp3 player which is bluetooth and has a radio on please

You'll be lucky to find a portable music player that doesn't use the earphone wire as a crude antenna.

Consider the wavelength that VHF/FM radio broadcasts on. A remotely efficient antenna: say a quarter wave, minus it's counterpoise would have a length of over 70cm.

Anything that would have to fit inside a portable music player would basically function as nothing more than a matching circuit and be pretty much useless unless you were stood near to the transmitter.

As Scotty supposedly said: ye cannae change the laws of physics

caroline 06-10-2018 15:11

thankyou for your reply , yes I see now im defiantly better looking for a mp3 player , Bluetooth with no radio on , all I need to do is fined one that has a very good clear sound on , if you know of any I would be grateful of a link .

thanx

Uncle Peter 06-10-2018 15:32

Pretty big market really so I guess it depends what kind of features you're after.

Just a wearable player with a rudimentary interface, maybe something like the Sandisk Clip Sport Plus. It has Bluetooth and microSD slot for expanding capacity:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Cli.../dp/B01LW2F237

The Sony NW-A35 is a really nice Android based player but it's nearly 200 quid:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Resolu...01NCTHCG7?th=1

There have been a lot of plaudits for FIIO and Cowon music players but as far as I know they lack Bluetooth and imho the build quality is questionable: cheapo Chinese junk syndrome.

SnoopZ 06-10-2018 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by caroline (Post 35965511)
thankyou for your reply , yes I see now im defiantly better looking for a mp3 player , Bluetooth with no radio on , all I need to do is fined one that has a very good clear sound on , if you know of any I would be grateful of a link .

thanx

Can you not just use your smart phone if you have one suitable?

caroline 07-10-2018 17:29

ive found one now thankyou ..

propoly 23-10-2018 20:46

What did you find? I'm genuinely interested

caroline 26-10-2018 10:57

Re: Anyone recomend a mp3 player which is bluetooth and has a radio on please

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

just what I wanted ..

Hom3r 26-10-2018 17:51

I had a Sony MP3 player but it was 32GBand ran out of room.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone, and put a 256GB MicroSD into it and reripped every CD to the higher quality FLAC format, which takes up 120GB.

I have Tunein Radio and if I need to I use that app.

I found MP3 player are a minefield some had DAC IIRC, and prices for one with a decent GB were very expensive, it worked out cheaper to buy the 256GB (about £75) and stick it in my phone.

SnoopZ 26-10-2018 19:00

Never understood why they still do dedicated MP3 players when most people have a smart phone that is just as good?

daveeb 26-10-2018 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35968120)
Never understood why they still do dedicated MP3 players when most people have a smart phone that is just as good?

I still have an ancient Sony MP3 player that works fine, but if I didn't i'd get an MP3 player as the batteries in modern phones drain so quickly with all the background stuff running.

SnoopZ 26-10-2018 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 35968138)
I still have an ancient Sony MP3 player that works fine, but if I didn't i'd get an MP3 player as the batteries in modern phones drain so quickly with all the background stuff running.

Good point about the battery if it gets used most of the time.

Stephen 27-10-2018 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 35968138)

Maybe iPhones, however many android phones have larger capacity batteries these days. I have the Huawei P20 Pro and even on days of using the phone a lot for Spotify music streaming and watching videos I still manage to get home after a 12 hour work day with about 60-70% left.

Uncle Peter 27-10-2018 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35968120)

This is fine if you're passing time on the train on the way into the office but I don't want to haul my mobile around in the gym when I am running, doing cardio or out on the trails on the mountain bike.

There's always a space for portable music players for this use case. On the other hand: People who buy the expensive, bulky portable music players or separate DACs (in the vain hope that it's going to elevate their listening experience through inherently crappy earbuds) I've never really been able to comprehend.

daveeb 28-10-2018 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35968211)
Maybe iPhones, however many android phones have larger capacity batteries these days. I have the Huawei P20 Pro and even on days of using the phone a lot for Spotify music streaming and watching videos I still manage to get home after a 12 hour work day with about 60-70% left.

Agreed, however my current old Samsung S6 has a power hungry 3K screen and relatively lowish capacity battery. I'll definitely be looking for something with a bit more juice when I replace it.