Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Digital TV Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Best TV streamers (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705836)

OLD BOY 19-12-2017 20:11

Best TV streamers

I have been searching for a device that can supplement or replace my Roku and Amazon Fire sticks, which I will transfer to my bedroom TV.

For my lounge, I am looking for a TV streamer which will let me access as many legal TV streaming services as possible and also let me use the internet on my TV.

It appears that the Nvidia 16 GB Shield TV streamer probably does it all, but at a premium price. Given that I'm not interested in gaming, would an H96 Pro Plus Android 7.1 be just as good for my purposes?

If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful!

pip08456 19-12-2017 21:12

Re: Best TV streamers

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35929531)
I have been searching for a device that can supplement or replace my Roku and Amazon Fire sticks, which I will transfer to my bedroom TV.

For my lounge, I am looking for a TV streamer which will let me access as many legal TV streaming services as possible and also let me use the internet on my TV.

It appears that the Nvidia 16 GB Shield TV streamer probably does it all, but at a premium price. Given that I'm not interested in gaming, would an H96 Pro Plus Android 7.1 be just as good for my purposes?

If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful!

It should be OK. It's also worth noting that TVaddons at present only uses verified legal sources for all their addons for KODI now. They cover a very wide range of world wide legal streaming services.

https://www.tvaddons.co/kodi-addons/category/video/

OLD BOY 21-12-2017 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35929542)
It should be OK. It's also worth noting that TVaddons at present only uses verified legal sources for all their addons for KODI now. They cover a very wide range of world wide legal streaming services.

https://www.tvaddons.co/kodi-addons/category/video/

Thanks for that, pip. I will trawl through that addons list to see what decent material exists before making a decision! I haven't done much with Kodi on my smart TV yet but there didn't seem to be much on there that was accessible.

Horizon 21-12-2017 17:48

Because some streamers had some apps and not others, I went down the route of getting a Samsung Bluray player three years ago and bought a newer one last year. Has all the legal services on it: iplayer, ITV, CH4, 5, Netflix, Amazon, Talktalk, Plex and more. Both players also have a web browser on them.

When I say all apps, all except one major exception: Now TV.

OLD BOY 21-12-2017 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35929747)
Because some streamers had some apps and not others, I went down the route of getting a Samsung Bluray player three years ago and bought a newer one last year. Has all the legal services on it: iplayer, ITV, CH4, 5, Netflix, Amazon, Talktalk, Plex and more. Both players also have a web browser on them.

When I say all apps, all except one major exception: Now TV.

Yes, I think the main advantage is the web browser, so we can use the internet on TV.

Unfortunately, it looks as though the majority of the apps I already have on different devices, but pip intrigued me with the reference to programmes from all over the world. I guess I'd need a VPN for that!

pip08456 21-12-2017 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35929749)
Yes, I think the main advantage is the web browser, so we can use the internet on TV.

Unfortunately, it looks as though the majority of the apps I already have on different devices, but pip intrigued me with the reference to programmes from all over the world. I guess I'd need a VPN for that!

Not for all of them but certainly for a few.

I use VPNArea 69 countries, most with multiple servers and you can connect up to 6 devices. The price is right too (I wish I was on commission for this!).

$9.90/ mth.
$50/ 6 mths.
$59/ 12mths.

OLD BOY 21-12-2017 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35929750)
Not for all of them but certainly for a few.

I use VPNArea 69 countries, most with multiple servers and you can connect up to 6 devices. The price is right too (I wish I was on commission for this!).

$9.90/ mth.
$50/ 6 mths.
$59/ 12mths.

Thank you, pip. I will be paying for a streaming device (if I decide to get one) with my Amazon gift vouchers, but I don't think I will be able to justify to my wife any further monthly expenditure on entertainment, given that we also pay subscriptions to VM, Netflix, Now TV and Amazon!

I wouldn't want to sacrifice any of those subs for a VPN as I think that would reduce the amount of good material that is available to me.

Shame, because I do find this a fascinating area to explore.

OLD BOY 23-12-2017 15:45

Amazon Fire now offers the internet as well, so it's beginning to look as if a streaming box is even less of an advantage for me, given that I don't want to go down the illegal sites and geo-blocked avenues.

I think my existing devices and subscriptions provide me with all legitimately accessed content in the UK that I need.

muppetman11 27-12-2017 11:27

I have the latest Roku Streaming Stick + and whilst generally it's pretty good there are a few areas Roku need to improve.

The Amazon app needs upgrading to the latest that's on other devices.

The UI needs sprucing up a little

Search needs to encompass all sources of content available on the device.

OLD BOY 27-12-2017 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35930078)
I have the latest Roku Streaming Stick + and whilst generally it's pretty good there are a few areas Roku need to improve.

The Amazon app needs upgrading to the latest that's on other devices.

The UI needs sprucing up a little

Search needs to encompass all sources of content available on the device.

I agree, I'm surprised in particular that Roku haven't yet upgraded Amazon, but I still think it is a very good streaming service.

theone2k10 29-12-2017 15:34

IMO the best device would be a mini windows pc you'll get everything on that including nowtv and vm player if you have vm tv.

OLD BOY 29-12-2017 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35930290)
IMO the best device would be a mini windows pc you'll get everything on that including nowtv and vm player if you have vm tv.

Interesting, theone - I haven't looked at this type of box yet. I will take a look at the options, thank you.

OLD BOY 10-01-2018 13:09

I have been reading up a bit on VPNs with a view to purchasing one and I was wondering if it was best to apply this to my router.

I have also become aware that a VPN may prevent you from accessing Netflix (but I don't know whether this is only related to geo-blocking or whether it would prevent me from even accessing our domestic version).

It would be very helpful if anyone could clarify the position on this. There seem to be so many issues to consider, and it is difficult to separate the trivial ones from those that are rather more serious.

1andrew1 13-01-2018 01:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35931807)
I have been reading up a bit on VPNs with a view to purchasing one and I was wondering if it was best to apply this to my router.

I have also become aware that a VPN may prevent you from accessing Netflix (but I don't know whether this is only related to geo-blocking or whether it would prevent me from even accessing our domestic version).

It would be very helpful if anyone could clarify the position on this. There seem to be so many issues to consider, and it is difficult to separate the trivial ones from those that are rather more serious.

Very good question. To me, a VPN adds extra cost that could be spent on content.
From a bargain basement angle, if you have Netflix and Now TV, what would a VPN provide that those two don't?

OLD BOY 13-01-2018 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35932312)
Very good question. To me, a VPN adds extra cost that could be spent on content.
From a bargain basement angle, if you have Netflix and Now TV, what would a VPN provide that those two don't?

I was interested in seeing the current affairs programmes in Australia, where my family live, as well as the US, and occasionally in other countries.

It's just for the removal of geoblocked sites, but not for paid-for content, as I have a good choice of that with my subscriptions already and do not wish to deny the studios producing that material the benefit of the subscription money, which would harm the industry.