Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Uber licence revoked (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705423)

nomadking 20-12-2017 08:57

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Are Travel Agents aviation companies or do they merely link up the 2 parties? Same goes for loads of other companies that just link up 2 parties for a transaction.

pip08456 20-12-2017 09:13

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35929579)
Are Travel Agents aviation companies or do they merely link up the 2 parties? Same goes for loads of other companies that just link up 2 parties for a transaction.

Uber is a taxi company.

Source

nomadking 20-12-2017 09:32

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35929580)
Uber is a taxi company.

Source

So why is it supposedly different from any other booking type service? Classic case of bias in judicial rulings. The obvious contradiction with other booking type services prove that.

Damien 20-12-2017 09:41

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35929579)
Are Travel Agents aviation companies or do they merely link up the 2 parties? Same goes for loads of other companies that just link up 2 parties for a transaction.

But the aviation companies are legitimately separate entities which you can book with directly or via other agents and are not wholly dependent on one provider. They set their own prices, policies and services.

The only agency the drivers have is the choice to work for them or not.

Stephen 20-12-2017 10:32

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
You get an Uber car to drive you and drop you off. To me that makes them a cab company.

nomadking 20-12-2017 11:05

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35929585)
You get an Uber car to drive you and drop you off. To me that makes them a cab company.

That is the name given to the service. They don't own the vehicles, interview and select the drivers, have fixed hours etc. Just as Thomas Cook don't own the hotels or actually provide the services in the hotel, but it is still referred to as a "Thomas Cook" holiday.

papa smurf 20-12-2017 11:15

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35929585)
You get an Uber car to drive you and drop you off. To me that makes them a cab company.

Does that make dads taxi service a cab company ?;)

pip08456 20-12-2017 11:18

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35929594)
Does that make dads taxi service a cab company ?;)

Depends if dad gets paid for it.:D

papa smurf 20-12-2017 13:10

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35929596)
Depends if dad gets paid for it.:D

funnily enough dads just got a fare to pick up son and take to tesco .

Maggy 20-12-2017 15:22

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35929592)
That is the name given to the service. They don't own the vehicles, interview and select the drivers, have fixed hours etc. Just as Thomas Cook don't own the hotels or actually provide the services in the hotel, but it is still referred to as a "Thomas Cook" holiday.

And any service industry should have to stick to the agreed rules that the rest of that service industry have set up to protect both users and workers.

Stephen 20-12-2017 16:15

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35929592)
That is the name given to the service. They don't own the vehicles, interview and select the drivers, have fixed hours etc. Just as Thomas Cook don't own the hotels or actually provide the services in the hotel, but it is still referred to as a "Thomas Cook" holiday.

Do private hire companies own their cars? No for the most part it is the drivers car.

I can also book my local private hire companies using an app now as well and track the car on a map. much the same as Uber.

They are all cab or private hire taxi companies. Some drivers will actually work for both.

TheDaddy 19-02-2021 12:17

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35929576)
I think they might be screwed...

I think their plan for domination might have to be rewritten and the whole gig economy might just be at an end to following the supreme court decision today

pip08456 19-02-2021 12:49

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36071250)
I think their plan for domination might have to be rewritten and the whole gig economy might just be at an end to following the supreme court decision today

Very informative.

nomadking 19-02-2021 13:03

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Uber set the fare which meant that they dictated how much drivers could earn
So how is that different to where councils set local rates and rules? Or other examples of buyer-supplier relationships.:confused:

Quote:

Looking at these and other factors, the court determined that drivers were in a position of subordination to Uber where the only way they could increase their earnings would be to work longer hours.
Isn't that how self-employment works.:confused:

Chris 19-02-2021 13:22

Re: Uber licence revoked
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36071254)
So how is that different to where councils set local rates and rules? Or other examples of buyer-supplier relationships.:confused:


Isn't that how self-employment works.:confused:

Dude ... just accept youíre wrong. The Supreme Court is the last word on what the law means. It has looked at how Uber operates and says British law means Uber is the driversí employer. You can repeat your opinion until youíre blue in the face but thatís all it is - an opinion. And now itís an opinion without any basis in fact, because the Supreme Court has made findings of fact.

The only way for Uber to *not* be their driversí employer in the UK is for Parliament to change the law.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:48.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.